Menu

transcript help re: DE classes with a lab

I'm having trouble deciding how to list a dual enrollment class on my son's transcript.

It is a class that has a separate lab, however, the lab is mandatory to take with the lecture. The class and lab are registered for separately and graded separately (as I'm sure all cc class/labs are).

So do I list these separately on ds's transcript or do I list them as 1 class since you cannot take one without the other?

And if I list them as one class, how do you combine the grades (if he makes an A in one and a B in the other as he did his first semester)?

For example: DS took Music Theory II for 3 credits and Ear Training Lab II for 1 credit. He made an A in each class. On his high school transcript, would you put "Music Theory II w/lab, credit 1 (I only give 1 credit on transcript for 3-credit college courses), grade A?

OR would you list it like this...

Music Theory II - 1 credit 1, grade A

Ear Training Lab II - ? credit (not sure how much credit to give), grade A

How have you moms who have BTDT handled these types of cc courses on your homeschool transcript?

And just so you know, I've gone back and forth on whether even to list these music theory classes as academic electives or on the back of the transcripts as activities. DS really does take these classes for personal enrichment and that is why we had them as activities at first. But, he makes such good grades in these classes that they validate his "mommy grades". I'm torn on this one.

IMO if the classes are graded separately, you should list them separately (with the two grades) on your transcript. I don't think you would want to average (or change in any way) the CC course grades, because you will want them to match up exactly with the CC transcript that you will also forward to prospective colleges. (My two have taken many CC science and math classes that have had corresponding, required labs, but they have only received a single grade for each of the class/lab combinations.)

If I were you I would definitely list all CC courses on the high school transcript, even if your ds took them for enrichment.

Edited by Brigid in NC

IMO if the classes are graded separately, you should list them separately (with the two grades) on your transcript. I don't think you would want to average (or change in any way) the CC course grades, because you will want them to match up exactly with the CC transcript that you will also forward to prospective colleges.

My two have taken many CC science and math classes that have had corresponding, required labs, but they have only received a single grade for each of the class/lab combinations. :)

If I were you I would definitely list all CC courses on the high school transcript, even if your ds took them for enrichment.

Brigid- Thank you for your response. Do you recommend that I also give my son the same # of credits on his transcript that the CC gives? So if the class is worth 3 credits, then it should say 3 on his transcript in order to match with the CC's transcript?

Margaret - Thank you for that detailed response. The format of my transcript will not allow me to list CC separately. I am not a wiz with spreadsheets and such and I just got down the format that I'm using, so I am not willing to switch to another transcript.

Are you saying that you do not put the grades for the CC courses on your transcript?

IMO if the classes are graded separately, you should list them separately (with the two grades) on your transcript. I don't think you would want to average (or change in any way) the CC course grades, because you will want them to match up exactly with the CC transcript that you will also forward to prospective colleges.

My two have taken many CC science and math classes that have had corresponding, required labs, but they have only received a single grade for each of the class/lab combinations. :)

I agree that all the college courses should be listed, and because of the different course numbers, they need to be separate. I've also been wondering how to assign the high school credit.

Brigid, how much high school credit would you assign for a 1 credit lab?

I agree that all the college courses should be listed' date=' and because of the different course numbers, they need to be separate. I've also been wondering how to assign the high school credit.

Brigid, how much high school credit would you assign for a 1 credit lab?[/quote']

:bigear: I was wondering that also. Or do you assign the same amount of credit that the CC assigns? I think I asked that in my previous post.

My problem is that if I assign a 3-credit CC class 1 high school credit and a 1 credit CC lab .25 high school credit, the GPA calculator that I use, will not accept anything less than .5 credits. :banghead:

Brigid- Thank you for your response. Do you recommend that I also give my son the same # of credits on his transcript that the CC gives? So if the class is worth 3 credits, then it should say 3 on his transcript in order to match with the CC's transcript?

For my two ds's, I always listed the CC course credits on the high school transcript in the same way they would have been listed if they were simply high school courses--so I did not use college credit hours (which would have been 3 credits for regular courses and 4 credits for courses with labs). Instead, I simply listed them as 1 credit per semester, regardless of the 3 or 4 CC credit hours. If my ds's had had two "courses" and two grades associated with one class (as yours has), I would have given the lab .5 credits (I know the math ratio is off, but I would not give less than a .5 credit). But that's just one approach--and I am sure that listing the full CC credit hours is equally valid. I think as long as you are logical and consistent, college admissions folks will not have an issue with what you decide to list on the transcript. My approach was always to be conservative on the recording of credits. Whatever you decide to do, the rigor of the coursework will be noticed. :)

Edited by Brigid in NC

:bigear: I was wondering that also. Or do you assign the same amount of credit that the CC assigns? I think I asked that in my previous post.

My problem is that if I assign a 3-credit CC class 1 high school credit and a 1 credit CC lab .25 high school credit, the GPA calculator that I use, will not accept anything less than .5 credits. :banghead:

Well, you could figure the gpa by hand. (Sometimes I think the transcript generators and gpa calculators and assignment trackers just add another layer of work. YMMV.)

If you are listing it twice, once in the high school section and then again in the list of college courses completed, you could do a blended high school grade as something like Music Theory with Ear Training and give it 1.25 - 1.5 credits (to satisfy your calculator).

Then list it in the college courses completed section with the full title of the course, course number, college credits, etc. I think you can do this and make it clear that the gpa is calculated based on the high school credits without losing the impact of having taken college courses for dual enrollment. (Won't you be submitting the CC transcripts too?)

I am listing ds's CC science classes as (ex.) Earth Science w/Lab and assigning 1 HS credit for 1 semester (4 CC credits). I am thankful that he earned the same letter in each (though we still have 2 more years to go). If he earned different grades, I would either:

Use the grade from the 3 credit lecture.

or

List separately with lecture as 1 HS credit and lab as 0 HS credit. I would ignore the lab grade in the gpa calculation.

Either way, it's not worth the time to split hairs over, imo. I don't like awarding more than 1 HS credit either. I don't think there is a good solution to this scenario, there are a variety of options, and I think colleges would understand no matter what option you chose.

:iagree:

Good luck!

I finished ds's transcript (boy am I happy) and decided to list the labs separately since the classes are graded separately and will be listed separately on the CC transcript.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.