Menu

Should I dump MUS for Life of Fred, supplement, or neither?

Jenny in GA

I have two girls. One is in fifth grade, a little behind in math, and considers it her least favorite subject. She is halfway through MUS Epsilon.

The other just finished third grade, is ahead in math, likes math okay, but gets very bored very quickly with repetition. (She is my MCT girl.) She is more than halfway through with MUS Delta.

I am wondering if both of them (in different ways) would enjoy Life of Fred. For the older girl, I'm wondering if it would make her like math more, and not dread it. For the younger girl, I'm wondering if it would "make" her spend more time with math. Right now, she tends to have the lesson, "get" it, and then resent the fact that she has to do several problems of the same thing. (But I do think she needs the practice.)

So I'm not sure if one or both girls should switch or if we should try supplementing with LoF. And even though I read their website, I'm not sure which book I should start each of them with.

Also, would a beginning fourth grader do LoF on their own, or with an adult? (I'm quite sure she would want to do it with me, but I'm not sure how much time I could spare for it in light of my younger kid.)

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

I agree with Kayinpa. I don't think LOF is best used as a stand-alone curricula. There may be those who use it successfully this way, but I don't see it that way. It gives the out-of-the-box way of looking at and understanding math, but the math basics are still necessary to learn. I will be using Epsilon this next year with my 5th grader along with LOF Fractions and am looking forward to the change of pace for my daughter.

Don't dump MUS for LOF. LoF is only a supplement until you get to Algebra. I had both of my kids do the corresponding LoF level after each MUS level fractions and up. However, if your kids need to shake things up a bit, alternate weeks or have a LoF day each week. There is a lot more in Epsilon than there is in LoF fractions, but LoF requires a lot more thought. They are a great combination!

How do they like to learn maths? LOF was a fun supplement for Calvin when he needed to go over something that he had already learned in a more systematic way. When it came to learning new topics, he needed more explicit instruction - LOF just confused and frustrated him.

Laura

It depends on your kids; nobody can accurately make that call for you. My older son has used Life of Fred fractions through the second pre-Algebra book as a stand-alone program (he uses Khan, but mostly jumps ahead) and he is excelling in math. We found that for him it was far better than the other available programs, including AoPS.

The math you need is in there. Whether it is accessible to your child is dependent on your child. It works perfectly as a standalone, and it can work fine as a supplement; do what works for your kid, not for somebody else's.

I am using the LOF Elementary books as a supplement. I think they can be used as a primary program, but it would involve more work on my part. Since I'm not willing to do that, I'm using it as a supplement. My two oldest dd's have used Fractions on up as a standalone curriculum. The oldest did not do the Pre-Algebra books because they didn't exist. The second oldest did the Pre-Algebra books. She did them mostly for fun, but she is gets math.

I plan to continue to use LOF as a standalone curriculum as long as it works.

Don't dump MUS. Add in LOF as a fun supplement and start with the first book (Apples) regardless of your child's grade level in math. Life of Fred is a story, so start at the beginning. :001_smile: Just order one book first of all from ztwist books--the shipping is free and you can return Fred if you don't like him. SOme of us like Fred, some of us send him packing. MUS is reliable, predictable and will get you where you need to go, so don't dump it just yet. My kids really, really enjoy LOF, but I am glad we have MUS as well.

Don't dump MUS. Add in LOF as a fun supplement and start with the first book (Apples) regardless of your child's grade level in math. Life of Fred is a story, so start at the beginning. :001_smile: Just order one book first of all from ztwist books--the shipping is free and you can return Fred if you don't like him.

Hmm ... this gives me pause. What are others' opinions on this? Should I start an eleven year old and a [slightly advanced] nine year old in the first book??

Hmm ... this gives me pause. What are others' opinions on this? Should I start an eleven year old and a [slightly advanced] nine year old in the first book??

If they're ready for Fractions (have done long division), you can start with Fractions. We aren't doing the elementary books at all. Fractions used to be the first book until last year. ;)

They will run through the first books fast, but it's entirely possible that they will learn something new in each of the books.

We started my oldest child in Fractions as well because at the time that was the first book. (He was a 6th grader, and that year he worked through Fractions, Decimals, and both Pre-algebra books.) Then when the box of new books arrived (Apples-Dogs), he nabbed them and holed up in his room to read them. :001_smile:

So, I guess, why not start in Fractions. If your kids happen to enjoy the books, you can go back--or maybe you can find a family to borrow from.

I will say, though, that I enjoy the concepts, information and presentation in the elementary books and I am way older than 11. :001_smile:

Edited by Andrea Lowry
misspelling