Menu

Any artists here?

If I were to sketch something and then scan it into a program like Photoshop (don't have Illustrator anymore) to digitize it, what would be the best materials to use? I don't want to have to do much to it on the computer.

What kind of pencil and paper would you recommend?

The end product would remain digital.

I would use ink rather than pencil. Pencil does not scan as well as black Sharpie or even India ink from a pen and nib. What you'll need is a good contrast so the whole line/stroke of the pen is solid and dark. As to paper, I'd recommend a smooth bristol drawing paper.

You can find all of these things at Michael's or an art supply store.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Lucinda

(Artist, graphic designer and art teacher)

I was thinking about ink, but I'm not that confident in my artistry. I guess I could trace over my sketch with a light box. However, I kind of wanted my sketchy style to come through. Is there a pencil I could try with particularly dark or "black" lead? Something that doesn't smear much too?

Thanks so much!

I would use ink rather than pencil. Pencil does not scan as well as black Sharpie or even India ink from a pen and nib. What you'll need is a good contrast so the whole line/stroke of the pen is solid and dark. As to paper, I'd recommend a smooth bristol drawing paper.

You can find all of these things at Michael's or an art supply store.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Lucinda

(Artist, graphic designer and art teacher)

I was thinking about ink, but I'm not that confident in my artistry. I guess I could trace over my sketch with a light box. However, I kind of wanted my sketchy style to come through. Is there a pencil I could try with particularly dark or "black" lead? Something that doesn't smear much too?

Thanks so much!

You could black line your sketch after you complete it. That will bring more definition for the scanning and retain some of your pencil marks. :001_smile:

Thanks so much!

Why not use pencil first and then ink over the top of it? After the ink is dry you could erase any pencil marks if needed.

You could possibly use an ebony pencil because it would be a lot darker than a regular #2 pencil, but it could smear easily. You see, in order to be a darker pencil it has to be a softer lead. I suppose you could try to spray it with fixative to hold it in place and not smear.

Sketchy lines don't always translate well into digital art. If you had graphic tools available you could make it happen, but based on what you've told us I would still recommend ink.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Ok, thank you! I will play around and see what happens.

Can you recommend a good pen/marker that doesn't bleed? How about a good eraser? I usually use white ones.

Why not use pencil first and then ink over the top of it? After the ink is dry you could erase any pencil marks if needed.

You could possibly use an ebony pencil because it would be a lot darker than a regular #2 pencil, but it could smear easily. You see, in order to be a darker pencil it has to be a softer lead. I suppose you could try to spray it with fixative to hold it in place and not smear.

Sketchy lines don't always translate well into digital art. If you had graphic tools available you could make it happen, but based on what you've told us I would still recommend ink.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Interesting idea! Will have to test this out too.

When illustrations are process for a book, are they scanned or photographed?

I personally prefer to photograph my art with a good camera and in good lighting, rather than scan it. You end up with a similar digital product, but I like the way it "transfers" over. You can also use any media you desire.

I personally prefer to photograph my art with a good camera and in good lighting, rather than scan it. You end up with a similar digital product, but I like the way it "transfers" over. You can also use any media you desire.

Did you know that digital cameras are actually mini scanners? The difference is that a camera is hand held and doesn't have the limitation in size that the "bed" of a scanner has. And with a digital camera you can customize the lighting.

As for a pen, I personally prefer a dipping pen with India ink. If you don't want to mess with the liquid then you could use a Sharpie. You wouldn't have bleeding issues if you used the bristol drawing paper like this one. Another pen choice might be a Pitt pen, which you can buy in sets or individually. Going a bit more upscale, you could also try a Rapidograph, which is a classic drawing pen in the world of art. Any of these would be really good choices. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

Have fun!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Interesting idea! Will have to test this out too.

When illustrations are process for a book, are they scanned or photographed?

They are scanned with more advanced scanners than you'll find in the normal household. It of course varies from publisher to publisher. You would send them your camera ready art and they would do the scanning.

Blessings,

Lucinda