Menu

Organizing papers help

I need help! I'm drowning in papers that are all over, but not where they belong at all. So I have a couple of boxes for receipts, I have an accordion thing where I keep birth certificates and more important stuff. Other than that, I don't have a system in place.

How do you store all your papers? I don't have much space, but I really need to get this stuff organized. Please help me!! Visuals, blog links would be appreciated!

I keep my papers in labeled thick binders (thickness depends on amount of content )

Binder Banking: bank statements, copies of transactions, correspondence, credit card stuff. Different banks separated by labeled cardboard divider.

Binder House: mortgage papers, repair receipts

Binder utilities: utility statements and correspondence related to gas, electricity, water, phone, internet, cell phones.

Binder car: sales papers. warranty papers. maintenance receipts. car insurance papers. Separated by car into two sections.

Binder taxes: copy of tax return, copies of all supporting documentation. Cardboard dividers separate the years. In the front a clear pouch containing all tax relevant receipts for the current year.

Binder medical: statements from medical treatment. medical records, dentist papers. pediatrician papers. papers that came with medication detailing side effects etc. Cardboard divider separate family doctor/pediatrician/dentist.

Binder important documents Personname: birth certificates. highschool and college diplomas, transcripts, PhD certificates, pay stubs, employment history, recommendation letters, awards. One for each adult.

Homeschooling: I keep a 1 inch portfolio for each child for each school year.

Receipts we only keep until the transcation shows up on our bank/credit card statement. Exception: expensive items.

Edited by regentrude

I need help! I'm drowning in papers that are all over, but not where they belong at all. So I have a couple of boxes for receipts, I have an accordion thing where I keep birth certificates and more important stuff. Other than that, I don't have a system in place.

How do you store all your papers? I don't have much space, but I really need to get this stuff organized. Please help me!! Visuals, blog links would be appreciated!

File--Don't Pile! by Pat Dorff.

Best.system.ever.

I keep my papers in labeled thick binders (thickness depends on amount of content )

Binder Banking: bank statements, copies of transactions, correspondence, credit card stuff. Different banks separated by labeled cardboard divider.

Binder House: mortgage papers, repair receipts

Binder utilities: utility statements and correspondence related to gas, electricity, water, phone, internet, cell phones.

Binder car: sales papers. warranty papers. maintenance receipts. car insurance papers. Separated by car into two sections.

Binder taxes: copy of tax return, copies of all supporting documentation. Cardboard dividers separate the years. In the front a clear pouch containing all tax relevant receipts for the current year.

Binder medical: statements from medical treatment. medical records, dentist papers. pediatrician papers. papers that came with medication detailing side effects etc. Cardboard divider separate family doctor/pediatrician/dentist.

Binder important documents Personname: birth certificates. highschool and college diplomas, transcripts, PhD certificates, pay stubs, employment history, recommendation letters, awards. One for each adult.

Homeschooling: I keep a 1 inch portfolio for each child for each school year.

Receipts we only keep until the transcation shows up on our bank/credit card statement. Exception: expensive items.

Thanks! I think binders will make the most sense to me as well. I've tried storage boxes before, and that just didn't work well.

File--Don't Pile! by Pat Dorff.

Best.system.ever.

I will look at this link, thank you!

Throw away a bunch of stuff. There are resources online for how long you need to keep tax stuff and receipts etc. If you are like me, you'll discover you have owner's manuals and receipts for lots of stuff you no longer own. I use a filing cabinet, with hanging file folders for big topics and file folders parts of a big topic.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday getting started on sorting through paperwork. I thrown away two bags of garbage already!! :)

I have 1 plastic sturdy filebox for stuff that I file this year. At the end of the year I go through and file it with older stuff. I don't keep credit card statements, bank statements, utility bills, etc. I can get bank statements and cc statements online and if I need to know what a utility bill was I can look at the cost in my financial software. In the 1 plastic sturdy box, I have a couple of envelops that I keep insurance policies, birth certificates, soc security cards, marriage licenses, passports, etc. I label what is in each envelop. My dh really likes the system, because if he is in a hurry he can easily find what he is looking for. I also keep medical records and info on the dog in it, as well as extra books of checks. If there is an emergency like hurricanes, or when we are traveling for dh's job, this is THE filebox that goes with us.