Menu

Experience with Verticy/Calvert online school?

*cross-posting*

Has anybody used Verticy for their struggling learner? DH is possibly returning to work soon (YAAAAAY! He's been out since February with a broken leg) which means my homeschool budget will replenish.

I just heard of Verticy tonight and was wondering if anybody here has used it and what you thought of it.

We would be using it for DD6 who is likely dyslexic and dyscalculic.

I haven't tried it, but another homeschool mom near me uses it for her dyslexic son and has had success with it. This is where she landed after trying several others. It's on my list to try next if our current program bombs.

Best,

Tee

I'm giving another bump. Can you explain what you know about the Verticy program? I gather it includes writing. What else? Might it help the person posting about math issues for a child with dyscalculia and looking for something with tutors online?

For myself I am most interested in understanding the writing component.

We have used a complete Verticy package for 3rd and 4th grade, and now are using a blend of Calvert/Verticy for 5th grade.

The levels we have used are:

Phonics/Spelling - green and red levels (the upper two of the four available) finished and have now 'graduated' out of this.

Grammar/Composition - we started at the lowest level and have completed orange and yellow, working on green now which is the third of the four levels.

We started this program when DD was coming up to 8 years old. Although they do not supply a Verticy core below 3rd, they do say the language learning elements (which can be bought separately) can be used from age 6. The Phonics/Spelling, in my opinion, is well suited to a young learner.

The on-line placement process is well worth completing, even if you don't go ahead with purchasing, and I really recommend you speak to Verticy as their advisors are highly trained and motivated to do the best for your child, rather than pushing a sale.

Hope this helps.

I heard it was for upper elementary only, so I haven't even looked at it. Its crazy expensive too. Personally, I'd save my money for a neuropsych eval instead so you know exactly what you are dealing with before dropping that kind of cash.

Edited by FairProspects