Menu

New York State IHIP & Ambleside Online

vwsmith

For those of you who are using Ambleside Online AND live in New York state...

I rec'd my IHIP form from my school district today. This is my first year to fill one out and I am curious on what I should do.

Under the English/Language Arts portion should I simply write "Ambleside Curriculum" or list the books being used from Ambeside? Or should I write something else entirely?

Any help would be appreciated :)

For those of you who are using Ambleside Online AND live in New York state...

I rec'd my IHIP form from my school district today. This is my first year to fill one out and I am curious on what I should do.

Under the English/Language Arts portion should I simply write "Ambleside Curriculum" or list the books being used from Ambeside? Or should I write something else entirely?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Don't write Ambleside Online. The law says you can write a "plan of instruction" ("list of syllibi, curriculum materials, textbooks **OR** plan of instruction"). Use educationalese, such as "Orkie will study grammar, literature, spelling and vocabulary, using trade books, silent sustained reading, and other methods appropriate to his age and academic ability."

Here's information from NYHEN. Start at #35.

You have to cite the specific materials listed, not your methodology. They don't know from "Ambleside". They need to know the name of your grammar program, spelling program, how you will address composition, or teach reading, and your potential reading list. Or, some variation of that theme. :001_smile:

http://www.nyhen.org/regs.htm#d

(d) Content of Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP).

Each child's IHIP shall contain:

(1) the child's name, age, and grade level;

(2) a list of the syllabi, curriculum materials, textbooks, or plan of instruction to be used in each of the required subjects listed in subdivision (e) of this section;

(3) the dates for submission to the school district of the parents' quarterly reports as required in subdivision (g) of this section. These reports shall be spaced in even and logical periods;

(4) the names of the individuals providing instruction; and

(5) a statement that the child will be meeting the compulsory educational requirements of Education Law section 3205 through full-time study at a degree-granting institution, meaning enrollment for at least 12 semester hours in a semester or its equivalent, if that is the case. In this situation, the IHIP shall identify the degree-granting institution and the subjects to be covered by that study.

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much :)

Don't write Ambleside Online. The law says you can write a "plan of instruction" ("list of syllibi, curriculum materials, textbooks **OR** plan of instruction"). Use educationalese, such as "Orkie will study grammar, literature, spelling and vocabulary, using trade books, silent sustained reading, and other methods appropriate to his age and academic ability."

Here's information from NYHEN. Start at #35.

You have to cite the specific materials listed, not your methodology.

You don't have to include any specific materials. I usually write only a general plan of instruction.

For the OP, I have IHIP samples on my blog. One is AO-specific and the others are based on the worldbook.com typical course of study. Either work fine with the AO curriculum.

I don't use the forms the district mails me. I make my own. It's easier that way. Here are samples of what I use(d). Take from them what you like if you want. Don't stress about the paperwork. :)

AO IHIP (with this IHIP I felt like doing things differently and listing the books we'd use. It ended up being way too time consuming and we scrapped many of those books anyway. I prefer my worldbook IHIP)

Worldbook IHIP (This is a nice outline of subjects and sub-topics based on grade level. It's general enough to work with any homeschool style and curriculum. We are starting a relaxed AO Year 4 in September and I will probably be using this version again)

Edited by Abkjw01

You have to cite the specific materials listed, not your methodology. They don't know from "Ambleside". They need to know the name of your grammar program, spelling program, how you will address composition, or teach reading, and your potential reading list. Or, some variation of that theme. :001_smile:

http://www.nyhen.org/regs.htm#d

(d) Content of Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP).

Each child's IHIP shall contain:

(1) the child's name, age, and grade level;

(2) a list of the syllabi, curriculum materials, textbooks, or plan of instruction to be used in each of the required subjects listed in subdivision (e) of this section.

Notice that it says "list of syllabi, curriculum materials, textbooks or plan of instruction." That means a list of syllabi OR curriculum materials OR textbooks OR plan of instruction--one of those, not all (or even two).

But definitely not "Ambleside Online" ...or "Well Trained Mind," or Robinson, or anything else that is similar. :-)

You also do not have to use the School District forms at all.. I use my own form.. listing a plan of instruction for each subject, including the educational goals for that subject for the year... I don't list books...

My form looks something like this..:

Math:

Goals Educational Goals for math (ie)

Skip counting by 2's, 5's and 10's

Graphing

Subtraction with Regrouping

etc..

and my district is a PITA.. forms get kicked back all the time...and they send forms asking for information they have no legal right to request...

and my district is a PITA.. forms get kicked back all the time...and they send forms asking for information they have no legal right to request...

I am so sorry. What county do you live in? I live in Tompkins and it is easy peasy in my specific district. As long as we get the paperwork in on time and conform to the spirit of the rules they are satisfied. Of course, that could change with a new person. There is another school district in this county where they got a new oversite person and they had a spot of trouble. The new person didn't seem to know that NY state has actual regs in place. She kept refusing paperwork. She kept saying things like "the state might ask for XX but I want XXYZPDQ because you aren't qualified" Oh it was a mess. I am not sure how that resolved.

Really, the best thing we can all do in the state is make sure we follow the regs and no less and the district follows the regs and no more. For example, I don't report anything that isn't mandated by the state. I have never reported Latin or Spanish because there is no foreign language mandate for homeschoolers, at least in K-8. I don't know what the high school regs on that are, but I will know when I need to.

If the district is asking for forms and info that the state does not require the easiest thing is to ask them to please show you the specific place in the state regulations where that is required. That has shut them up a couple of times.

Thank you all very much. I feel like I'm making too big a deal out of it, but then again, I don't know how my district operates and want to be sure. I actually don't know anyone who homeschools in my district, only surrounding districts so I have no idea how it is to deal w/my particular district.

Thank you all very much. I feel like I'm making too big a deal out of it, but then again, I don't know how my district operates and want to be sure. I actually don't know anyone who homeschools in my district, only surrounding districts so I have no idea how it is to deal w/my particular district.

The law is the same for all districts, although there may be some tweakage room within the law that the districts make good use of. :glare:

It is important for you to know the law, and stick to the letter of the law as much as possible. Which is another reason to be a member of HSLDA. They keep busy in NY.

In theory it should be pretty much the same throughout the state. Don't bother reporting things not required. Don't give them more than they need.

Yeah one of the fuzziest and most annoying aspects of the regs is the whole who can do the testing/narrative assessment thing. That is pretty much "THE" reason I was afraid to tell them to take a flying leap when they asked for info I was not required to give. So far they have let me do my own assessments. I don't want them to find a reason to change their mind.

That is an area where the districts do have a lot of leeway. The year end assessment can be done by a certified teacher, OR by standardized exam OR by 'another party' the district accepts. I happen to live in a district where they have traditionally allowed the parent to do the assessment. That has stood through several district oversight people. My friend also lives in Western NY, but in a very different district and they NEVER permit the parent to do the assessment. So, she just administered the CAT test every year. It is easy and her kids are really, really good at standardized exams. In fact, they became so unphased of tests, I have taken a page from her book and am now testing every year. It is much easier than writing an assessment.

Wendy, have you met other homeschoolers who were not allowed to write their own assessment in your district? It is usually a district policy and not a case by case decision. Some are fine with parents doing the assessment and some are not. I don't think your making them follow the law is going to make them think they need to reverse their entire policy. And, you could always just administer a test. You have to do it starting in 4th or 5th grade anyway. Ha! That would annoy them if they went to the trouble of going after you.

. My friend also lives in Western NY, but in a very different district and they NEVER permit the parent to do the assessment.

Would you mind telling me what district this is as I also live in WNY.:001_unsure:

*crossing fingers*

I pm'd you. Hey, they will or they won't and you will deal. To be honest, after years of writing those stupid end of year assessments I am glad to hand it off to a testing service. Did I mention I detest writing those quarterly reports? I make my husband do it. I figure it is the least he can do. I still have to tell him everything, but he is in charge of remembering when they are due and writing it out etc.

I hate paperwork!