Menu

Anyone watching the Belmont Stakes this weekend?

We have watched and re-watched both the Derby and the Preakness and it's still thrilling to watch I'll Have Another come from behind in an amazing display of power. They've drawn post 11 for the Belmont.

I didn't realize there was a Canadian connection with IHA.

Here is a link to the

and one to the

I can't watch the actual race. I am to afraid that someone is going to get hurt. I really don't like the sport of horse racing (and we have two ex-race horses!). I'll probably watch it with my kids (on mute) and then when they tell me it's all over I'll rewatch it. I sure hope he wins. It's such a long race though, it's going to take alot out of all of them. I remember when Seattle Slew won the crown way back when, and now we have one of his grandchildren! I just hope and pray that each jockey and each horse gets through that race safely. Thoughts of Barbaro still run through my mind. It would be great to have I'll Have Another win it all though. Do you know that he was first sold for $11,000? Can you believe that?!!!! Dreams really do come true!

Yes, Journey I'm with you. It is a super long race. May all the horses and jockeys run a safe race! Kudos to you for supporting these wonderful animals by taking on the care of two of them.

Here's a sweet article about IHA's beginnings. It's such a grueling sport and one hopes that the horses continue to be treated properly long after they've won the race. There are lots of OTTB organizations springing up to support these horses once their (very short) racing careers are done.

The barn where we board our two horses is full of OTT's who were dumped there by their trainer. We live very close to a "lower" class track so these are not quality horses by any means. The stories we hear, on a regular basis, on how some racers are treated, literally make my cry. They are so sad. HOW someone could be so cruel to an animal is beyond me. My two OTTB's would give us their hearts if we let them. They (especially our mare) are always trying to please us. Once they trust you, there is nothing, NOTHING they won't do for you, it it truly spectacular. That's not to say they can be jerks though too! Our gelding threw a shoe the other day and our farrier came out, thinking she could put it back on by herself (because this horse usually stands quietly on the cross ties for her while she's doing his feet)...this horse was SOOO bad that he ripped my farrier's pants and caused a huge gash on her arm...all because some dang mare was in heat and they have this ridiculous love affair going on across the fence. So while they are super, duper awesome, they can also be complete idiots...but again, how any human being could be so cruel to them is truly heartbreaking. I wish i could rescue all of them. There are, in my opinion, no better horses out there than the OTTB.

My two OTTB's would give us their hearts if we let them. They (especially our mare) are always trying to please us. Once they trust you, there is nothing, NOTHING they won't do for you, it it truly spectacular. There are, in my opinion, no better horses out there than the OTTB.

Yes, this is what I've heard, that they give you their all. So great that you're doing your part to support these magnificent animals. :D