Menu

getting children used to read alouds

Just as the title says how can I get my children used to read aloud? Don't getme wrong,we read plenty, just not longer chapter books. We are trying to do it more but getting and keeping attention is difficult. My oldest has a habit pf just zoning out or something and therefore can't tell answers to questions I ask.anyway any ideas or even book suggestions to help get us all used to this?

My kids do well with read alouds, but of course the toddler decides that's a great time to make noise, climb on me, etc. I try to set him up with a little fine motor activity. A good friend uses things like modeling beeswax or "thinking putty" for her kids to kind of fidget with while she's reading.

eta: if your oldest is zoning out and can't answer the question, can you shorten the length of the passage you read before asking her a question?

Pick light, fun, short books with illustrations to start off. Episodic books can be good too. Build up slowly. I think the vast majority of children can't go from picture books to Swiss Family Robinson overnight.

Good first read aloud chapter books...

The Jamie and Angus Stories

My Father's Dragon

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Mr. Popper's Penguins

George's Marvelous Medicine

To really get my kids to pay attention during read alouds, I started with books there were familiar with (like some of the Narnia books and the Wizard of Oz- they had seen the movies of these). I was amazed at how many of the book vs. movie differences they picked out, and it was easier for them to listen since they already knew the basic story. I try to do book then movie now, but this was a good way for us to start:) We also do read alouds at bedtime and that helps with the distractions. They each get to pick a book they want to read so we have multiple books going on at one time, but I know I have their attention at least during the book they picked!

Pick light, fun, short books with illustrations to start off. Episodic books can be good too. Build up slowly. I think the vast majority of children can't go from picture books to Swiss Family Robinson overnight.

Good first read aloud chapter books...

The Jamie and Angus Stories

My Father's Dragon

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Mr. Popper's Penguins

George's Marvelous Medicine

:iagree: This is pretty much what we've done through SL cores. Take a look at SL cores P4/5, A, and B. Don't let the recommended ages fool you, most of the books are classics that can be enjoyed by all ages. They have a lot of those transition type books that you could find at the library. Some like Uncle Wiggily (ds8 still loves this book and was reading it last night in bed) are more like serials in chapter book form. Gooney Bird Green is another fun and easy chapter book to start. Beverly Cleary books are also fun to read out loud and funny enough to keep their attention.

Do allow them to draw or play with something quietly? Sometimes they can focus better when their hands are busy.

This, but I would replace the question mark with an exclamation point and the word sometimes with almost always. ;)

Legos, puzzles, coloring, knitting, crocheting, drawing.

You can help draw your kids back in when they zone out. For example, if I read something funny and DD doesn't blink, I crack up laughing. When she looks at me quizzically, I repeat the lines again. This helps her refocus a bit. I also stop and ask her questions like, "Does that sound fun?" or "Do you think that's a good idea?" to keep her involved. I have to do this less now than I used too. Also, at the beginning alternate between short chapter books and picture books. When DD began listening to chapter books, her brain was ready for a break by the time we finished one.

One more thought:

Lately I've seen some big, heavily illustrated versions of chapter books like Ramona. They have long full pages of text, but still have illustrations on every single page spread. These might make good transitions too.