Menu

mega words for spelling?other suggestions?

pjssully

Would mega words be sufficient for spelling for a 9 year old. She has a very difficult time spelling-2 grade level or so and i don't know what to use that won't take "loads" of prep time for me. Would mega words work? Or any other suggestions?

thanks

pam

Megawords assumes the student can spell most one syllable words, including those with vowel combinations. Some vowel combinations are taught in Megawords, but only in the context of multisyllabic words.

Megawords would be too difficult for her.

My 10yo is about halfway through Megawords 1. It is great for her reading, but not so much for her spelling. It is improving her spelling ability, but she still misses about 1/4 of the words when we finish a unit. With Sequential Spelling, she rarely misses more than 1/8 of the words and that's without seeing them beforehand. On the first day of a pattern, she often gets all 25 of the words correct. When the words become more complicated, she starts to miss more.

You may want to check into this program that is done completely on the computer and is free!

http://www.spellingconnectionsonline.com

While it has a place for your to log in, it doesn't really work. You just choose the grade level and unit you want to work on and go. This would be nice because your dd can work on it all by herself at a level that she feels comfortable with.

I'm going to have my 10yo try it out. I like Sequential Spelling, but I need something that she can do on her own. This would fit the bill.