Menu

minimus latin for what kind of learner?

we have finished SSL and have PL sitting on our shelves ready to be re-used {or sold since DS9 did it two years ago}, but i'm wondering whether i could use a more "fun" approach to latin by choosing instead minims latin. i've viewed samples .... are the cds really fun?

am i right in thinking it's level equivalent to Prima Latina?

is it parts to whole or whole to parts?

is it better suited for a certain type of learner? there was SOOOO much writing in PL for a 2nd grader. it was discouraging. i felt like we enjoyed as much of it as we could, but i'd rather keep the language learning light in the younger years.:bigear:

Mimimus is only "fun" on the surface. Once you get into it it, if you are trying to have your kid learn anything in any sort of logical way, Minimus is not a good program.

Getting Started with Latin is a great introduction to Latin and it is easy to make sure it gets done each day.

Lively Latin done at half speed worked well for my younger one.

Latin Prep has some funny stuff in it, but the organization is kind of odd.

Cambridge Latin also has some entertaining stuff, but it doesn't stress grammar enough.

Minimus should be used after a good dose of Latin grammar, probably after GSWL, or with a family that speaks Latin.

PL - don't get me started; I think it could fit certain kids, just not us, but GSWL fit us perfectly.

Kai, I hope you continue to post even after the kids are in school. I loved the way you succinctly summarized each program so well.

I think if your son is 9, I would go with Latina Christiana instead of Prima Latina. You can start using Minimus as a reader about part way through, because I do not think that LC has enough reading. But LC is a lot better than PL. Plus LC includes all the vocabulary that is PL and more. And it actually introduces some grammar. And the teacher's manual is actually helpful. It's not a perfect program, but none of them are.

(I spend the last year teaching PL and LC at my local co-op.)

I think if your son is 9, I would go with Latina Christiana instead of Prima Latina. You can start using Minimus as a reader about part way through, because I do not think that LC has enough reading. But LC is a lot better than PL. Plus LC includes all the vocabulary that is PL and more. And it actually introduces some grammar. And the teacher's manual is actually helpful. It's not a perfect program, but none of them are.

(I spend the last year teaching PL and LC at my local co-op.)

we're just finishing LCI with my DS9:)

i am thinking of all of this with regard to my DD7 :) i am not going to use PL with her because i think LC definitely does better.

however, i've actually decided that we're going to do VISUAL LATIN, some random PL workbook work {we already had a clean copy for her}, the worksheets which accompany the visual latin {for free}, and reading some of the bolchazy twaddle for a little fun :). visual latin has two free e-readers on the site.

it's wonderful!!!