Menu

Easy Grammar questions

Nakia

My middle dd (just finished 3rd grade) had a really hard time with R&S grammar 3. We are going to give Easy Grammar a try next year, and I'm planning to just take it slow and at her pace. Should I get the 3rd grade book? Is there a placement chart or scope and sequence somewhere? Also do I need the textbook, workbook, teacher book, test book, and daily gram book? I'm trying to figure it out by looking at CBD, but it's a little confusing. I was under the impression it was all in one workbook, but I guess I was wrong, lol.

Thanks for any help you can give!

I've been looking at Easy Grammar (for the future) and what I have learned is that the TM has the blank student pages in it. So left page is student page with answers and right page is blank student page. Using Easy Grammar and Daily Grams together is overkill.

That is all I know at the moment, but no doubt someone with experience will help you out more :)

You'll be fine just going with her grade level, even if she hasn't done it before. I like that it's set up to make it easy to go in at grade level!

There is a TM and a Student Book. The TM has all of the student pages in it, with the answer key on the facing page. There are ways of working around it, but it's a big huge book & I knew my kids wouldn't want to lug that thing out to do their pages, and then you either have to cover up the answers or copy the pages--I think the set-up is goofy! But I like the program, and it's not that expensive to go ahead & get the student book on top of the TM if you don't want to work around those issues.

You can do Daily Grams on top of EG, but I decided not to. It didn't make sense to me to start with a daily review before my kids had done the initial book, so I went with just EG. Might add DG on next year though, contemplating (I'd be doing just DG, not both).

HTH some! Merry :-)

Thanks! So I would need this and this?

Yes.

ITA with MerryAtHope: it doesn't make sense to start out with EG and DG simultaneously. You could alternate them--EG first, DG the next year, EG the following year, and so on--but I wouldn't do both of them simultaneously at any time.

Yes.

ITA with MerryAtHope: it doesn't make sense to start out with EG and DG simultaneously. You could alternate them--EG first, DG the next year, EG the following year, and so on--but I wouldn't do both of them simultaneously at any time.

Thank you, Ellie. I haven't ever seen it in real life, so I'm not sure how it works. I just know we need a change.

While we're talking about it, I would like to ask another question. My oldest has done R&S grammar for 4 years and is getting ready to go into 7th grade. I have been going back and forth between AG and R&S 7 for her, but she is burned out with R&S. We are planning to start Latin this year, and I have honestly thought about taking a break from grammar for a year. She has a really firm foundation, and I thought maybe we could pick it up again in 8th. Someone mentioned doing Daily Grams for her 7th grade year instead of putting grammar aside completely. Do you think that's a good idea? She uses WWS, and it actually has a lot of grammar review in it as well. Can you tell me how Daily Grams work? Thanks!!

We used both DG and EG last year with our oldest 2. I loved the quick review of DG (takes about 10 minutes first thing in the morning) - different to the "teaching" they received from the EG lessons. I didn't feel it was overkill.

My 3rd grader is starting DG next year - or was going to, but once his book came in the mail, he couldn't help himself and has been completing pages here and there as part of our summer review times! He loves it! I wondered whether he would come up against a topic he didn't know yet (since he's doing DG 3 and hasn't begun 3rd grade grammar yet) but so far, its reviewing things he's learned or has simple enough instructions that he can follow.

Just another opinion! :)

I hope someone can help me. I am thinking of using Easy Grammar 6 with my son next year. We used Daily Grams 5 this year and it has been very easy to schedule, obviously, just a page a day. But how many pages would you schedule with Easy Grammar? I assume it would be done five days a week, also?

Thanks!

I hope someone can help me. I am thinking of using Easy Grammar 6 with my son next year. We used Daily Grams 5 this year and it has been very easy to schedule, obviously, just a page a day. But how many pages would you schedule with Easy Grammar? I assume it would be done five days a week, also?

Thanks!

I would like to know the answer to this too. I am trying to decide between GWG and EG.

Thanks!

I made up our schedule based on logical breaks in the workbook - for example, if there were 2 pages explaining verbs and then 4 worksheet-type pages to practice it, I would schedule the 2 reading/teaching pages + 1 (or 2) practice pages on one day. The next day they might complete 2 more practice pages etc.

I tried not to start a new concept while completing the previous one. I did sometimes schedule as little as 1 workbook page but that was only if I needed a logical break because a review section or test was coming up.

My general rule is to take the number of pages in the student book and divide it by 170 days (allows for field trips etc) - then round up or down from there. We finished 4th grade with 3 weeks to spare and 6th grade with 1 week. HTH and makes any sense! LOL

I would like to know the answer to this too. I am trying to decide between GWG and EG.

We're starting GWG with my 3rd grader this fall. I got my books today and they are only planning for grammar 3 x per week so we'll likely finish our books sometime in 3rd quarter. I'm debating if I'll pace it differently (ie go with the 3 x day schedule and use the extra days to do more writing-based things in WWW or Sentence Island - our supplement text) or do 5 x days and just move up to GWG 4 when we finish GWG 3.

Someone mentioned doing Daily Grams for her 7th grade year instead of putting grammar aside completely. Do you think that's a good idea? She uses WWS, and it actually has a lot of grammar review in it as well. Can you tell me how Daily Grams work? Thanks!!

Honestly, you could probably not do any more grammar and focus on writing and she'd be fine.

I did EG before DG was invented. Dd did EG one year, and that was that. :)

Thanks!

I required dd to do three pages of EG each day that we were home, because I wanted her to finish in a year or less, so we could focus on writing.

I don't think you really have to *schedule* it. Just do the next two or three pages next time you do school, probably not five days a week, though. I don't think that would be necessary.

Honestly, you could probably not do any more grammar and focus on writing and she'd be fine.

I did EG before DG was invented. Dd did EG one year, and that was that. :)

My dd would hug you for saying that, lol. I wish I had the nerve, but I am no grammar expert. :/

We used both DG and EG last year with our oldest 2. I loved the quick review of DG (takes about 10 minutes first thing in the morning) - different to the "teaching" they received from the EG lessons. I didn't feel it was overkill.

:iagree:We just finished up EG3 and DG3 and I didn't feel it was overkill either.

BUT, we are switching to GWG4 for next year. We will probably do another year of EG at some point before graduation but right now I need more independent! And we really liked WWW this year by the same company.

My middle dd (just finished 3rd grade) had a really hard time with R&S grammar 3. We are going to give Easy Grammar a try next year, and I'm planning to just take it slow and at her pace. Should I get the 3rd grade book? Is there a placement chart or scope and sequence somewhere? Also do I need the textbook, workbook, teacher book, test book, and daily gram book? I'm trying to figure it out by looking at CBD, but it's a little confusing. I was under the impression it was all in one workbook, but I guess I was wrong, lol.

Thanks for any help you can give!

I have the teacher text and the student workbook. It wasn't worth copying the student pages on my own.. The wkbk was only $10=D I did copy the tests out of the TE. I'm sure you've found the TOC at CBD..although I think they must have the S&S on their website somewhere.

Scheduling I did as a PP mentioned. Divided the pages by the number of school days and tweaked so subjects ended on a Friday..when I gave her the test over that topic.

I loved the prepositional phrase idea and that will surely help her later. Switching to GWG next year because I like the idea of grammar only 3 days/wk.. lol I will supplement with Evan Moor Daily Language Review(kind of like daily grams actually). I need more independent, less work next year but will very likely do another year of EG at some point in the future.. maybe EG Plus in HS?? (Since I already own it:)

HTH Lori