Menu

Twentieth-century world history text?

I haven't read it yet, but I know that Kathleen from these boards has read it, and I have tremendous respect for her. It's called Modern Times by Paul Johnson, and it covers the 20th century from the 1920's to the 1990's.

HTH!

Yes, this is the one recommended by SWB for Rhetoric-level history. She pairs it with "America:A Narrative History".

If you want a lot of detail, try A History of the 20th Century, by Martin Gilbert. It's incredibly easy to read (like a story almost) and comes in several volumes. We read the first one (while doing Sonlight 300) and part of the second one. It seems to me that the first 2 decades of 20th Century world history are often skimmed over. This lent depth and interest. We got it at the library. Here's an amazon.com link so you can see the second volume (really, I'd only use the first, since so much is easily found on the 30's and up).

Martin Gilbert book

I used Spielvogel after that, but it's weak on the period after WWII.

It's called Modern Times by Paul Johnson, and it covers the 20th century from the 1920's to the 1990's.

Does Kathleen or anyone know if Johnson's Modern Times includes the 2001 World Trade Center attack? Or does the book stop in 1999? I have a number of high school/adult history books that cover just shy of the 2001 attack and precious few that actually cover it. If I buy another world history book I would want it to include the early 2000's.