Menu

Does anyone do multiple languages starting below 4th grade?

Murphy101

My oldest is in Spanish. Second born is starting Russian. And my third born wants to learn German. (which I can't find!)

My next 3 are doing Latin for Children starting in the fall. (I love the look of this program! It looks engaging but not dumbed down.)

I'd like to add another. Because I'm crazy.:tongue_smilie:

It needs to be something a non speaker can teach.

It would be convienent if it was one of the above, but two of them are interested in French. Personally, I'd like French or German, but I will have enthusiasm regardless.

Rosetta stone and Learnables were useless in this house. Btdt and had no retention to show for it.

I'm not sure how much help I am here...but my 3rd grader did Latin and Spanish. For Latin, we used Prima Latina and for Spanish, he used Rosetta Stone. He LOVED Rosetta Stone. For this fall, he's going to use Rosetta Stone Spanish again and he's dropping Latin (he said it was boring :D ).

My 10 yro studied German and Latin this past year. She used Latin Prep (which she loved) and a mix of stuff for German (Tobi Fibel, some easy readers, Rosetta Stone), but this fall, we're going to try the German program that's sold thru Saxon - I think it's called Komm Mit.

http://holtmcdougal.hmhco.com/hm/detail.htm?ID=1007500000072589

I have no idea if it's any good. :glare: I have a minor in Germanic Studies, so it's pretty easy for me to converse with her, translate easy readers, etc. I'm not sure what I would use if I didn't already have a background in it.

DD started Getting Started With Latin and French with Nallenart's L'art de Lire in third grade and had no trouble keeping them separate. (In fact, learning them simultaneously actually helped her, because since things like "they are" are similar in both languages, it helped her remember which French words were "they are" and which were "they have.")

Is this Canadian french? And the samples don't show instruction on pronounciation, is it somewhere else?

Thank you!

It is a Canadian company, I think, but the French looked like the same French I learned in high school, so I think it's geared toward American students. If you get the package, either by actual package (shipping is pretty high) or by download, you get mp3s that have the pronunciation.