Menu

What do I do for kennel cough?

My dog has coughed all night long. Since I picked her up from the boarders on Tuesday, and the symptoms match, kennel cough seems highly likely.

I'm finding advice that ranges from "take them to vet" to "it usually resolves on its own.". I also found advice to try pediatric robitussin.

I have to take dd to a soccer tournament tomorrow, so a vet visit is not the easiest thing to arrange. If that's what is needed, I'll figure out something. Dh flies home at noon, but the vet closes at noon and is closed Sunday. Though I know we have some "vet ER" places around somewhere.

Any experience?

I'd take her to the vet. It is equivalent of croup in humans, sort of. The dog needs some cough suppressants. The more she coughs the more damage she does to the little hairs in the trachea, and the longer it takes to resolve. Also, you want the vet to rule out something more serious, like congestive heart failure, which presents similarly.

With kennel cough it sounds like they have something stuck in their throat. That is the classic sign.

I'd take her to the vet. It is equivalent of croup in humans, sort of. The dog needs some cough suppressants. The more she coughs the more damage she does to the little hairs in the trachea, and the longer it takes to resolve. Also, you want the vet to rule out something more serious, like congestive heart failure, which presents similarly.

With kennel cough it sounds like they have something stuck in their throat. That is the classic sign.

It does sound like something stuck. She had her bordatella, but I found somewhere where there are several different viruses that can cause it. She is also on heart worm meds, so it's not from that infestation. She, otherwise, seems normal on energy and jumped right up to go outside this morning....where I'm sure she scared the neighbors with her loud coughing.

Blah! I'll have to see if I can find a vet open this afternoon. I have a hard enough time doing everything when dh does his occasional work travel. I can't imagine being a single mom.

:iagree: