Menu

The Ordinary Parents Guide Question/s

pbt1294

When do you start a spelling program with this and what do you all use???

What about handwriting programs???

What if you have a child that is going into 2nd grade and can already read basic books. How do you know where to start him in the program. Do you just have him read through passages until he gets stuck???

Thanks,

Kyle Thomas

WTM says to start a spelling program when they are about 1/2 way through OPG. I saw on here recently that it is recommended to start FLL when you reach lesson 140 in OPG. I was planning to start a bit earlier than that. I don't have any advice about starting with an older child. But the WTM addresses it in the appropriate chapters.

We're kind of bad OPGTR-ers. ;) TWTM suggests starting FLL, WWE and spelling at about lesson 140 but we didn't wait that long.

We started spelling after we finished section 4 (after beginning and ending blends, before digraphs, lesson 60 I think.) I won't go into why, but it was just what we needed to do for my son. We chose All About Spelling because it has less writing and my son really does best with a more kinesthetic approach. AAS starts WAY back in the beginning, with phonograms, segmenting, etc. so my kids are currently still spelling WAY below their reading level. (One of the reasons we started early.) I have Spelling Workout but I didn't really care for it- it was too much like Explode the Code, which we are already doing.

We did handwriting in K and got through HWOT's K and most of the 1st Grade book. Once we started WWE, with all of the copy work, we've since dropped HW. Every once in a while I get out a blank page and have my kids practice a letter they've been struggling with. But we don't do anything formal any more.

For your older child- it probably depends on what you mean by basic books. I would guess that you could pick up OPGTR at section 6 (three consonant beginning blends.) That would by-pass pretty much all three and four letter words with short vowel sounds. Personally I would probably have them read just the sentences at the end of the lesson to see if they can read them. If so, skip ahead. If not, then you've found where to start. I feel the book is pretty good about reviewing things- in the first lesson on long vowel sounds, the story uses "stop, drip, catch and will." So if your child stumbled on, say, drip, you could make a note to go back and review the DR blends. I don't know, I guess that's be how I would move forward- start hunt-and-pecking your way to find a good starting spot, and just remember to review two, one new every session.

On a previous thread I posted how I track this, if it might help. I keep a piece of printer paper for each child in the book as a bookmark. I write on it to keep track of what we're doing, by date. Then I note which lesson the kids mastered, stumbled on and need lots of review. I underline the number they did well on, put a block around the ones that they need a little work on and circle the ones they just completely blew. So my notes for one day might look like this:

6/1- 100, 104, 111.

Then I'll underline 100, block 104 and circle 111. When I sit down the next day, I can look and decide to do 104 and 111 for review and 112 as the new. When I notice that I'm getting lots of blocks and circles, then I stop adding new topics and just review for a while. When most of the lessons are underline, we pick back up adding in new lessons.

Not sure if that helps!

On a previous thread I posted how I track this, if it might help. I keep a piece of printer paper for each child in the book as a bookmark. I write on it to keep track of what we're doing, by date. Then I note which lesson the kids mastered, stumbled on and need lots of review. I underline the number they did well on, put a block around the ones that they need a little work on and circle the ones they just completely blew. So my notes for one day might look like this:

6/1- 100, 104, 111.

Then I'll underline 100, block 104 and circle 111. When I sit down the next day, I can look and decide to do 104 and 111 for review and 112 as the new. When I notice that I'm getting lots of blocks and circles, then I stop adding new topics and just review for a while. When most of the lessons are underline, we pick back up adding in new lessons.

Not sure if that helps!

This helps ME! Thanks a bunch!

My DD is at lesson 140 and I do not plan to start spelling yet or FLL because of her age. We have started handwriting but that was more a developmental issue than related to OPGTR. I would start handwriting before doing spelling though AAS is apparently more verbal - why you need to know how to spell before you can write I am not sure which is why I have left it.

We're kind of bad OPGTR-ers. ;) TWTM suggests starting FLL, WWE and spelling at about lesson 140 but we didn't wait that long.

We started spelling after we finished section 4 (after beginning and ending blends, before digraphs, lesson 60 I think.) I won't go into why, but it was just what we needed to do for my son. We chose All About Spelling because it has less writing and my son really does best with a more kinesthetic approach. AAS starts WAY back in the beginning, with phonograms, segmenting, etc. so my kids are currently still spelling WAY below their reading level. (One of the reasons we started early.) I have Spelling Workout but I didn't really care for it- it was too much like Explode the Code, which we are already doing.

We did handwriting in K and got through HWOT's K and most of the 1st Grade book. Once we started WWE, with all of the copy work, we've since dropped HW. Every once in a while I get out a blank page and have my kids practice a letter they've been struggling with. But we don't do anything formal any more.

For your older child- it probably depends on what you mean by basic books. I would guess that you could pick up OPGTR at section 6 (three consonant beginning blends.) That would by-pass pretty much all three and four letter words with short vowel sounds. Personally I would probably have them read just the sentences at the end of the lesson to see if they can read them. If so, skip ahead. If not, then you've found where to start. I feel the book is pretty good about reviewing things- in the first lesson on long vowel sounds, the story uses "stop, drip, catch and will." So if your child stumbled on, say, drip, you could make a note to go back and review the DR blends. I don't know, I guess that's be how I would move forward- start hunt-and-pecking your way to find a good starting spot, and just remember to review two, one new every session.

6/1- 100, 104, 111.

Not sure if that helps!

WOW!!!!!!!

LOADS of great advice! Thanks for writing all of this out!!!!

It looks like A LOT of you use AAS. I actually started using that last year and have whimped out on using the letter tiles. I have been impressed with how quickly my kiddos learned all of those sounds.

I bought the all about reading program but I love the simplicity of the Ordinary Parents Guide....

• 3 months later...
WTM says to start a spelling program when they are about 1/2 way through OPG. I saw on here recently that it is recommended to start FLL when you reach lesson 140 in OPG. I was planning to start a bit earlier than that. I don't have any advice about starting with an older child. But the WTM addresses it in the appropriate chapters.

does it say anything about starting WWE1 when you reach a certain lesson in OPG?

does it say anything about starting WWE1 when you reach a certain lesson in OPG?

I just checked WTM and it only says "once he's writing well."

WWE: Strong Fundamentals just says first Grade. I've never noticed anyone saying what lesson in OPG.

For me, I didn't want ds to be copying a lot of words that he couldn't read/didn't know many of the rules. I also want him to be comfortable writing letters fluently so that he isn't focusing so hard on making the letters that he can't pay attention to the sentence structure.

Ds is a bit behind in handwriting, so we haven't started it yet. I am hoping to in a month. We went back to review, but ds can do up to Section 10 (lesson 94.) We have started FLL1, and he's doing fine.

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

I just checked WTM and it only says "once he's writing well."

WWE: Strong Fundamentals just says first Grade. I've never noticed anyone saying what lesson in OPG.

For me, I didn't want ds to be copying a lot of words that he couldn't read/didn't know many of the rules. I also want him to be comfortable writing letters fluently so that he isn't focusing so hard on making the letters that he can't pay attention to the sentence structure.

Ds is a bit behind in handwriting, so we haven't started it yet. I am hoping to in a month. We went back to review, but ds can do up to Section 10 (lesson 94.) We have started FLL1, and he's doing fine.

WONDERFUL! thank you so much for that info. yes, i agree... taking all your energy to copy a line of words is not much help if you have none left to notice info about the scentence :)

When do you start a spelling program with this and what do you all use???

What about handwriting programs???

What if you have a child that is going into 2nd grade and can already read basic books. How do you know where to start him in the program. Do you just have him read through passages until he gets stuck???

Thanks,

Kyle Thomas

1. I started spelling halfway through last year - about 1/3-1/2 way through OPG. It may have been a little early - WTM recommends not starting spelling til 1/2 way through.

I use Spelling Workout, though I'm considering AAS for next year for Astro because SW doesn't seem to fit his learning style thus far.

2. I started handwriting right off the bat. BUT I didn't start OPG with him until K. With Pink I'll be starting OPG next year (pre-k) but won't start a formal handwriting program until K. I am going to get her the little ETC books though (get ready, get set, go)

3. I have no idea. Are you sure you need OPG? If you think so, I would just look through it until it looked like stuff that he isn't familiar with yet - then start a little before that for some review maybe.