Menu

Math. Again. HELP!

I will buy ANYTHING at this point.

DD took her first practice SAT. We were VERY happy with her reading and writing scores. Her PSAT is this fall.

Her math score was shockingly low. I knew it wouldn't be stellar, she has continually struggled with Algebra. However, I really felt we had made progress.

I am a bit at a loss and discouraged. This is going to be a math intensive summer. She has been very resistant to allowing us to teach anything despite the fact that DH is incredibly adept in math and I'm fairly comfortable with Geometry and advanced Algebra. She prefers to be self taught and I understand and respect that. However, the time for that has come and gone.

Bring on the suggestions. We have done Saxon Algebra and it was a fail. We have done LoF with great success, however, I'm questioning our "success." She is currently using TT for Algebra and Fred for Geometry.

Do you think it is the style of the SAT test? I spent some time working practice PSAT and SAT problems to get familiar with the sometimes obtuse way they present problems. (The ACT has more problems to work but they are less quirky.)

Beyond style, does she need practice getting used to mixed, problems- from-every-chapter kind of algebra/geometry test?

Then, since you have a dd that prefers self instruction, there's always the Chalkdust SAT/ACT review, and I think Kahn works every problem in a released actual SAT or ACT.

Part of the problem is that she's still in Alg (1 or 2?) and Geometry. Those topics are needed to do well on the test. If she's not finished with them, that's part of the problem.

Then, as previously mentioned, she'll want to get used to having mixed questions come up. MANY who do poorly in math on the SAT/ACT, yet do well with grades, have the math memorized, not learned. One who has learned the math will know what to do in mixed situations (when you do what). Many who have it memorized need some sort of clue as to what to do - and those clues aren't generally in mixed problems like they are in chapters covering just "x." At first, it can be a mental jump to go from one to the other, so practice problems to see if she can do it.

Otherwise, check to see what she's missing (topic wise) and try to cover those in more depth. McGraw Hill SAT is a great book for learning content, but their practice tests tend to be on the easy side, so do those from elsewhere (or start with easy for a confidence booster).

I can't say I've seen many test results from Life of Fred... just AP level and only two (hardly a great population sample). Both of those were dismal though. I know people tend to use it on here - perhaps they've done the SAT/ACT and know if it prepares students well or not.

Another option is to try a practice ACT. The math tends to be more straightforward on that test and might be a better fit.

I will buy ANYTHING at this point.

DD took her first practice SAT. We were VERY happy with her reading and writing scores. Her PSAT is this fall.

Her math score was shockingly low. I knew it wouldn't be stellar, she has continually struggled with Algebra. However, I really felt we had made progress.

I am a bit at a loss and discouraged. This is going to be a math intensive summer. She has been very resistant to allowing us to teach anything despite the fact that DH is incredibly adept in math and I'm fairly comfortable with Geometry and advanced Algebra. She prefers to be self taught and I understand and respect that. However, the time for that has come and gone.

Bring on the suggestions. We have done Saxon Algebra and it was a fail. We have done LoF with great success, however, I'm questioning our "success." She is currently using TT for Algebra and Fred for Geometry.

IF she is struggling with algebra, I'd suggest she thoroughly reveiw the basics (fractions, exponents, etc). DS had gaps that were preventing him from progressing in algebra. A good way to do this was khanacademy.org. She can make an account and start with the practice problems. If she hits problems she does not understand, she can watch the videos on that subject (it will show you the accompanying videos for any given concept). IN my son's case, he also used Art of Problem Solving Pre-algebra and algebra texts. These have provided a great basis for understanding the WHY behind seemingly simple mathematical concepts (concepts I just take for granted and never even considered why they work the way they do). Khan does a pretty good job of explaining the why behind early algebra concepts too imo.

Also, I would try a few free trials over the summer to try to find a program that clicks with her. Here are some computer based programs that are seem good for students to work through independently:

ALEKS has a 2 month trial. We haven't used ALEKS lately, but as I remember it, it does not explain new concepts very well. It does, however, provide practice and review and help students identify weak areas.

http://www.aleks.com/webform/c239

Thinkwell has a 2 week trial.

http://www.thinkwell.com/

Yourteacher is free throughout the summer through homeschool buyer co-op. We have been trying this out a bit but SO far the kids haven't really taken a liking to it. Still a possible resource, and hey, it is free.

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/yourteacher-freebie/

If she doesn't want a computer based program, a free alg text book is available at ck-12.org.

Also, does she try the SAT Question of the Day? My son tackles the math ones and if he doesn't know the material, he still reads the explanations.

http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/sat-question-of-the-day

My older son worked through Saxon independently very well. But, my younger son read tried a few chapters from it and found it quite .... repulsive. Stilll, the textbooks seem readily available used. My kids have had to try a variety of programs to find good fits.

it's much more about reasoning. There are problems on the SAT that she has never seen before and will never see again. Learning some good test-taking strategies can help immensely.

This book:

http://www.amazon.com/McGraw-Hills-Top-50-Skills-Score/dp/0071613919/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

is kind of fun (!) and not nearly as intimidating as many of the SAT prep books.

I also like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Millers-SAT-Math-Clueless/dp/0071452877

HTH

Consider either finding a free someone or paying a tutor to work with her on this over the summer. I know you feel competent to teach the materials but if you waste a lot of time on interpersonal issues then a tutor might help you accomplish more in the time you have.

Consider either finding a free someone or paying a tutor to work with her on this over the summer. I know you feel competent to teach the materials but if you waste a lot of time on interpersonal issues then a tutor might help you accomplish more in the time you have.

:iagree:

I've done some tutoring sessions where the student has taken an SAT practice test, and flagged the questions they either got wrong or weren't sure of. We then tackled the questions, learning both the math behind them and appropriate strategies. I'm also able to identify which problems are things that the student isn't yet expected to know (e.g. Algebra II problems for a student who has only done Alg. I), which gives the student some confidence.

Also, if your child is actually trying to solve each problem in the way you'd do with math homework, then they need to learn SAT specific skills - work backwards from the answers, eliminate unlikely answers, find the "trick" rather than multiplying everything out, etc.