Menu

Trailer campers + minivan = Looking for suggestions

I'm working diligently to get Dh to succumb to camping :). He refuses to tent camp, but is open to the idea of a trailer. I grew up camping in a pop-up and some of my best memories ever are from camping.

We have a minivan, and we do not want to purchase a truck for a camper. What ultra-light models could you recommend for a family of 4? Can a minvan really pull a camper?

A minivan can pull a popup, but it should not do it often or for long distances. Our minivan pulled ours a few times prior to our truck purchase, and it was very hard on the transmission. The ride was very rough compared to the truck pulling it. The guy at the camper place said that a small pop up is the only thing he would consider pulling with a minivan, but we should be prepared to replace the minivan sooner. We keep vehicles for more than 10 years, so we decided that replacing the 11 yr old truck and saving our van (it was only 6 yrs old at the time) was a better idea.

ETA: Be sure to get a brake controller installed, and check your towing package to see if it included a transmission fan. Ours did, but Honda has a different towing package than a couple of other companies, so do check.

Edited by dwkilburn1

Check your car's owner manual for the max tonnage it can pull before you shop. So you don't fall in love with something your car can't pull.

My sister pulls a popup with their mini van. They had to have some hardware added to their car so it wouldn't void their warranty. It was something to keep the engine cool and from overheating and they had to add a breaking system for the trailer. It was a few hundred more than the price of the trailer but well worth it. They've never had a problem with their mini van and they made numerous CA to WI trips over the mountains pulling it.

A dealership for the camper will be helpful in figuring this out too.

When we bought our popup they were careful to ask about the vehicle we were planning to use to pull, before we shopped.

Thank you for all these suggestions! I was wondering if we would have to make some engine adjustments, so having some confirmation on that is good. I just need to get my hotel-loving dh on board! :)

We have a Toyota Sienna that we pull our pop up with. Our pop up isn't very heavy. It is pretty bare bones meaning no indoor potty, only queen and full mattresses and no indoor stove. It is tight for the four of us if it is raining but for the most part we are only in it to sleep. I know it is several hundred pounds below the towing capacity of our mini van. We haven't had to do anything about engine cooling or adding brakes to the pop up. It is very easy to tow. I take it myself without DH often. I don't miss my tenting days!

Hmm... with two children, how about a Vanagon? We just bought ours two weeks ago, so he hasn't gone on too many adventures with us, but he was very well traveled before, including Europe and South America!

The back seats fold down to create one bed, and the top pops up to form another. Both sleeping areas are equivalent to about a Double/Full bed.

Here is ours. He's currently being spiffed up in the garage, but we'll be taking him out again soon.

ottomobil.tumblr.com

I'm working diligently to get Dh to succumb to camping :). He refuses to tent camp, but is open to the idea of a trailer. I grew up camping in a pop-up and some of my best memories ever are from camping.

We have a minivan, and we do not want to purchase a truck for a camper. What ultra-light models could you recommend for a family of 4? Can a minvan really pull a camper?

Would he go for camper cabin? Not the expensive one, but the rustic ones with some beds and an outlet inside and a picnic table and grill outside. they're cheaper than owning a camper and all you need to pack is food and bedding. I wouldn't BUY anything until you know whether or not he LIKES camping. Expensive gear won't bring a non-camper around.

Would he go for camper cabin? Not the expensive one, but the rustic ones with some beds and an outlet inside and a picnic table and grill outside. they're cheaper than owning a camper and all you need to pack is food and bedding. I wouldn't BUY anything until you know whether or not he LIKES camping. Expensive gear won't bring a non-camper around.

Good question! I guess I should have made that clearer. He is not opposed to camping; it's just not his favorite means of travel. He grew up flying to places and staying in hotels. I grew up on road trips and tents/pop-up trailers. Our boys LOVE camping (we've been once with them). I'm much more natural minded than dh, and we talk about wanting more of that for our boys. He told me last night he is "considering" it. He's a money guy, so ultimately, it will involve him making a spreadsheet with a cost analysis of the entire purchase vs. future hotel excursions. :D

Hmm... with two children, how about a Vanagon? We just bought ours two weeks ago, so he hasn't gone on too many adventures with us, but he was very well traveled before, including Europe and South America!

The back seats fold down to create one bed, and the top pops up to form another. Both sleeping areas are equivalent to about a Double/Full bed.

Here is ours. He's currently being spiffed up in the garage, but we'll be taking him out again soon.

ottomobil.tumblr.com

When I was younger, we used to borrow my aunt's before we purchased a trailer! I have such fond memories of those trips!!! Enjoy yours!

We pull a pop up with a slide out with our Ody. We added on a tow package when we purchased it. It is heavy because it has a slide out, but we are still within the weight limits. We don't carry a ton of stuff *in* the actual camper when we go. I wouldn't pull it up and down the Rockies w/ our van but it has been fine doing it a few times a year. We moved about 2 years ago but went a lot where we lived before. We had a great local lake about 40 mins away, and it was a flat, easy drive to get there.