Menu

Is soy cheese an acquired taste?

I've become a vegan bc of health issues. I'm on a super low sat fat diet (like zero!) bc of MS. I mostly eat veggies, fruits, legumes and minimal grains but I occasionally want favorite recipes like homemade pizza or mexican dishes. Most of these old favorites require a sprinkle of cheese so I've tried some soy cheeses. Yuk! I use hardly any bc they all seem like they have an aftertaste. How do you get used to this? Or am I trying the wrong ones?

I've become a vegan bc of health issues. I'm on a super low sat fat diet (like zero!) bc of MS. I mostly eat veggies, fruits, legumes and minimal grains but I occasionally want favorite recipes like homemade pizza or mexican dishes. Most of these old favorites require a sprinkle of cheese so I've tried some soy cheeses. Yuk! I use hardly any bc they all seem like they have an aftertaste. How do you get used to this? Or am I trying the wrong ones?

Back when I was attempting the non-dairy route, I could not find a good soy cheese for the life of me! There may have been one grated Parmesan that wasn't horrible, but I think it just tasted more like salt than cheese. I decided I would rather completely do without cheese than eat that soy stuff. So yeah, YUK!

I think you just have to admit to yourself that they are NOT cheese, and will NEVER taste like cheese, and it wont be as awful.

There are also rice milk cheeses and almond-milk cheeses, and honestly, the almond-milk cheese is not at all disgusting (imho, of course).

Coming from a vegetarian and a real milk cheese LOVER, my opinion is that the soy stinks (not good, like cheese stink, but just stinks in general :D). I'm not a huge advocate of super processed soy products, either. I have, however, tasted some creamy and flavorful almond cheeses. Don't know how it melts, though. If I ever need to give up cheese, the almond is where I would head. I wonder if its easy to make at home...?