Menu

What do I feed such teeny frogs?

We caught a few tadpoles from a local pond/creek area. The kids LOVED watching them grow into frogs. We've kept them in their original pond water which has teeny water bugs in it... Those bugs are about as small as a dot that a pencil would make and move about independently in the water. Is that enough for these little guys to eat or are there other insects which would be better?

7305271206_1a8e035f9a.jpg

7305270580_b6f25eb46a.jpg

We have two similar-sized froglets right now (and more coming) and the reptile guy at the local pet store suggested the "mini" sized mealworms (ie, just hatched) or mini-crickets. It's amazing to me how such big, fat tadpoles become little teeny frogs. We've never seen ours eat, but the bugs vanish. I think ours are Southern Leopard Frogs.

If they're terrestrial frogs, as oppose to aquatic or tree frogs, they need to be moved to a habitat where they can easily get out of the water, and ideally, where they can sit in the water, but with their noses out into the air. We discovered when our first one changed when we were away for the weekend, and our pet sitter didn't know to move it that frogs can, indeed, drown, as strange as that sounds to say about an amphibian!

I have no clue what kind of frogs they are... Lol They were HUGE tadpoles, but just these teeny little guys. We do have a large rock or two and some sticks and they climb out. We problem will change up their space now to half water and half dirt.

We'll stop at the pet store for some mealworms or something tomorrow then!

Our first tree frog was a young dart frog and he ate fruit flies. You can buy them at Petco in a jar. They are flightless.

I would take one to a reptile shop and see if you can have it identified. They aren't really as easy to care for as one might think....different types of frogs need such varying degrees of care. What is right for one breed is wrong for another.

Our red-eyed tree frog eats crickets, and requires live plants and a humid environment, but we also have a dwarf frog who primarily lives in the water, requiring an aquarium w/about 3 inches of water and eats pellets every other day.

Can you tell we have boys who LOVE frogs?! :tongue_smilie:

If you google "Oklahoma frogs" it's highly likely that your state agriculture agency will have a page on what species are local and how to identify them. It's hard to do so as tadpoles (there are about three frogs that live in West TN and have similar looking tadpoles), but once they've changed to frogs and their patterns are obvious, it's a little easier. You also may be able to send a photo to someone and have them identify them, and then look up care instructions. I can't see trying to bring one of the little guys in to get them identified-I can't imagine it wouldn't be stressful for the frog. Via a photo, and just based on where we got the tadpoles, the reptile guy thought they were almost certainly leopard frogs. There are a lot of frog species in the area, but only a few that happily lay eggs in suburban swimming pools :).

Well, I think we don't have to worry too much at this point... We have been using pond water from the source and upon closer inspection, there are a bunch of bloodworms at the bottom. YAY!

We're just waiting until they get bigger and hop out of the container (on our front porch) on their own.