Menu

Embarrassingly Confused About Testing

Good morning. I have read and read about the subject of testing and I keep reading conflicting answers...can somebody point me to a thread of answers or slap me or something? I have one dd going into 10th grade. Is she to take the PSAT this fall or in the 11th? How about the SAT and/or ACT? When are they to be taken? How do the students prepare for them both when they are so different? Is one better than the other? :confused: I appreciate your patience.

Ginger

My oldest dd took the PSAT for practice in the 10th grade and then again in 11th grade (the 11th grade one is the only one where you can qualify for the national merit scholarships, should the score be high enough).

She took the SAT and the ACT in the spring of 11th grade and she'll be re-taking the SAT in November (12th grade) to try to improve her score.

My daughter thought the ACT was harder than the SAT. The SAT is in 3 sections: reading, math, and writing. The ACT is in 4 sections: reading, math, science, and English, with an optional writing section as well (that would make it 5 sections).

She used prep books for both exams, which you can find at any bookstore.

My dd improved her scores by taking the ACT multiple times, getting more comfortable with the content and pace of the test. Since the ACT allows students to send scores from a specific date, she could take the test more than once and then send only the scores that she wanted the colleges to see.

The SAT has just announced a new policy of allowing students to choose which scores to send to colleges, but it doesn't take effect until March 2009.

My older two boys will not be taking the PSAT. They would not score high enough to bother messing with the school system.

This April my oldest ds took the ACT at the local public high school. He was in 10th grade. He did not do nearly as well as his practice tests. He made a 17.

He took the test again in June- this time at a small private college. His composite was a 21. His English went from a 16 to a 24. His math went from a 15 to an 18.

The 2nd scores are more inline with the practice tests that he took at home and the free practice test given at the library by Princeton review.

Obviously, he freaked out the first time he took the test. We plan to have him take it several more times. So, my advice would be to take the ACT early and take it more than once!

ETA- We didn't do any prep between the first and the second test.

HTH-

Mandy

Here is the timing that we used:

PSAT: (NO on-line sign up)

10th - for practice

11th - the one that "counts" for National Merit

These are offered ONLY ONCE a year in October. You must contact a public or private school and request to have your student test there. Start calling at the end of the prior school year, or the beginning of the summer. You may be put off until September, but some schools start a list of home schoolers who want to test. You want to get on that list to guarantee a space for your student.

SAT (On-line sign up)

First time - 11th grade (any date; we chose June bec/classes and AP tests were over in mid-May, so ds had 2 weeks of no-school prep time)

Second time -12th grade in October

Be sure to check deadlines for applications and scholarships if you decide to take it later than October of 12th grade. November may be too late for some submissions.

By the way, beginning with 2010 grads, the College Board will offer kids the option of only sending the SAT scores that the student selects, rather than ALL of them. This is brand new.

ACT (On-line sign up)

9th, 10th, 11th, 12th

We saw these as good practice, plus they met our state's requirement for one standardized test per year. Also, students may select the ONE score they want sent to colleges, rather than having to send all of them.

AP: (NO on-line sign up)

11th, 12th (or whatever years your student takes AP tests)

These tests are offered only ONCE a year in May. Just like the PSAT, you must contact a school to request to have your student test there. Ask for the AP Coordinator. Start calling in the fall.

SATII Subject Tests (On-line sign up)

11th (or whenever your student is prepared)

Some schools require or recommend SATII's from homeschoolers. SATII Subject Tests may not be taken on the same date as the SAT. A student may take up to 3 different SUBJECT tests on one date -- they are each 1 hour long.

We found the April/May time period of 11th grade to be pretty crazy. If you have a student who plans to take SAT II Subject Tests AND AP tests, plan carefully. AP tests are ONLY offered in May. We received sage advice from another homeschooler who accelerated some of her student's work so that some classes would be completed in early April. That gave the student more time to concentrate on studying for the AP tests and the SATII Subject tests.

I hope this is helpful. The timing above is what WE did. There is definitely flexibility based on your own family's objectives. Good luck!

~Brigid

That's a good explanation, Brigid!

Here's what my teen did:

PSAT in 11th (with some test preparation at home)

SAT in 11th (in her case she took it in March due to upcoming AP exams in May and SAT subject tests in June. She did some preparation at home particularly the SAT question of the day [free and highly recommended, see http://apps.collegeboard.com/qotd/question.do]

and the Chalkdust SAT Math review DVDs.)

AP exams (she took one in 10th grade in US history; two in 11th in Latin and Comparative Gov't and Politics; and will take two in 12th grade Statistics and another Latin (different focus)).

SAT subject tests (she took the US history one in 10th after the matching AP and took two in 11th {Latin with additional prep and Math 2C also with additional prep}.

Best wishes as you plan!

Regards,

Kareni