Menu

Puppy litter logistics--I need help!

So, if any of you remember, my dc found a dog that had (probably) been dumped near our farm. That happens often, and ordinarily we have the animal spayed/neutered and they become part of our menagerie. This dog though, gave us puppies on (I think) May 6th.

Anyway, the puppies are getting older now, and are starting to walk around and make pee puddles (and more) in my laundry room. Clearly, living on a nest of towels in my laundry room isn't ultimately the best situation for this point in their development, lol!

Logistically, where am I supposed to keep them now, and how am I supposed to keep them contained while still making them accessible to their mama, who has tiny little 5" dachshund legs?

I have a laundry room, a garage, patios outside, and a huge yard.

Where are the puppies supposed to be now? :001_huh: :bigear:

ETA: The puppies are clearly a mix of a larger breed, because they will be bigger than their mama very, very soon.

post-517-13535086754132_thumb.jpg

Edited by Julie in CA

I don't know. We had beagle puppies about 10 yrs ago, but we just had them in a crate without the top. Mom could come and go, but babies couldn't step out. I don't know woth puppies the same size as mom! Maybe you could get one of those baby gates that makes a circle and just rescue mom when she needs it? They sure are cute. :)

I have had good luck using a small kiddie wading pool to contain dachshund puppies that age but even then there are occasional escapes. It also helps a great deal with mess containment since the bottom is water proof.

Yes, I looked at wading pools, but the ones with sides high enough to contain the big puppies were too tall for mom to get over. She's full of milk, and there's literally only 1-2" of clearance now between her...booKs (lol, ?) and the ground. Jumping over the side is a problem for her, but not for her pups. :001_huh:

I would probably go with the baby gate fence (the round play area ones) and just let mom-dog in and out when she needs a break.

These guys are super-cute!

I looked all over town yesterday for one of those round gate play area things, and couldn't find one. :glare:

This is what I have used for puppies. I also purchased the 2 panel extension to make it much larger for outside. When the puppies were tiny, I used it without the extensions inside. I have a mini-poodle who could jump in if I left a little stool or something for her to get up on (outside the play yard). She could not get back out easily, though, but that was fine. We would just life her out if she wanted out.