Menu

Social Skills and Stories

Since you did not get any replies, I'll take a stab at it. I found this book recommended on the forums here and purchased it recently. We will most likely be starting it in the fall (if not sooner) since there's too much going on here right now. I really like what I have seen so far. I hope this helps you a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Teaching-emotion-communication-children/dp/1885477910/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338027030&sr=8-1

Oh, this past year we also used the "Way I Feel" series by Cornelia Maud Spelman and the "Learning to Get Along" series by Cheri J. Meiners. They were a bit on the young side for my son (just turned 8 at the time) but they should be a great fit for your little guy :). Check you library. My library carries the first book I linked "The Social Skills Picture Book" but only the high school edition, so I had to buy my book. I probably would have bought it anyway, but if you are looking to keep costs down, the Spelman and Meiners books should be available at most libraries. I live in Canada and found all the books in the series at my library.

Hope you get some more ideas/ suggestions.

I have not used or reviewed the following, but I noticed that abcteach offers a section with social skills materials as does TeachersPayTeachers. You can sometimes preview part of the TPT materials before you buy, some abcteach materials are free others require a membership.

ETA: If you try a Google search, there are also board games that are used in therapy that specifically address social skills. I have a really old one called "Socially Speaking" that I need to pull out of the closet and take a look at. I can't remember the name of the one our therapist uses.