Menu

CLE Math vs. Horizons Math

Alright ladies. I'm trying to decide between CLE math and Horizons math for my daughter going into 3rd grade. I have read great things about both of them. I love the price of CLE math. I have heard that the teacher manual for Horizons is not great. I'm not strong at math and so I would love something that explains to me how to explain concepts to her. Not just, "teach them how to do this", but "here is how you explain this". Also, do you feel that CLE or Horizons is a "stand alone" math curriculum? Or, do you supplement with something else? What? Thanks so much for the insight.

We just finished up CLE 300. I used Horizons K for Sylvia in her K year and she is just about to finish CLE 100. I have also used 200. When I used Horizons, I barely touched the TM. CLE is very easy to teach. Most of it is written to the student and I only have to explain or illustrate rarely. IMO CLE is complete and doesn't need regular supplementation. I did use TT with Rebecca for most of this year; she tested out of most of 3 and we had to skip large portions of 4. The girls both use xtramath and I've printed out some MM Blue segments for extra work (time for Sylvia, she's having trouble with that, and another way to look at fractions and multiplication for Rebecca), but CLE does an excellent job and I'm very, very happy with it.

Edited by Mommy22alyns

I have not used CLE Math, but Horizons is a complete program. People who are good at math are the ones who typically like Horizons, and people who are not strong at math tend to dislike Horizons (from comments I have read). If you are not strong at math, maybe CLE would be a better fit.

I love Horizons, and I think it is a fantastic math program. I supplement with Singapore's CWP and Mental math workbooks. This is because Horizons doesn't do a lot of mental math, and because CWP is just great with any program.

We used Horizons for our youngest and CLE for our oldest.

Our DD, who is finishing up 3rd grade (Horizons) went from a child who HATED math and barely had a grasp on her addition facts to a child who likes math ("it's ok") and is doing multiplication, divsion and some algebraic equations successfully. The workbook is bright and colorful. If you are comfortable with math don't bother with the TM. I do have the answer key though and use it to make grading quicker. We plan on using Horizons next year for her. (If it ain't broke...lol!)

Our DS, who is finishing up 7th was working through CLE. It's not a fair comparison to compare the two curriculums since they are on such different levels. I do like the price of the CLE. I like the idea of the units-it gives me a sense of victory when we finish one, although DS could care less. He hates math and hates the spiral approach that CLE uses. I like the way things are explained in the units. The curriculum seems to be very thorough (we only used it for part of the year). DS hates it, though, because of the spiral approach. At his level he usually has about 2 pages of problems a day that are review. For him we are switching to BJU and try the mastery approach and see if he likes it better. I wouldn't say he's behind in math...but since we've only done a part of the CLE books there are some things we haven't covered. At the beginning when we first started using it we had to do a lot of review...DS was in public school last year and there were lots of things that they didn't cover that CLE had assumed he knew. The good thing is that in the first book there are references (lightunit number) where that subject was covered in the previous year). The units aren't colorful, so if your child likes bright colors and fun drawings CLE won't give them that. (but then that's why the price is so awesome!)

You can't go wrong with either, IMHO...

Alright ladies. I'm trying to decide between CLE math and Horizons math for my daughter going into 3rd grade. I have read great things about both of them. I love the price of CLE math. I have heard that the teacher manual for Horizons is not great. I'm not strong at math and so I would love something that explains to me how to explain concepts to her. Not just, "teach them how to do this", but "here is how you explain this". Also, do you feel that CLE or Horizons is a "stand alone" math curriculum? Or, do you supplement with something else? What? Thanks so much for the insight.

The teacher manual for CLE isn't great either (except 1st grade). But the lessons are easy enough to get through without it. Each lesson is written at the students level.

I only supplement CLE with xtramath.org and the kids play on khanacademy.org.