Menu

Need advice on buying sheets

I am no good at picking out sheets that won't pill. I've only had one successful purchase, and that set of sheets is so old it's starting to tear holes at the seam.

What's the best kind of sheet to buy, that is reasonably priced, that won't pill? Do I need to worry about what kind of cotton? Thread count? Name brand? I think my one good set of sheets came from Target and might have been Egyptian cotton, but I don't remember anything else for sure.

Thanks!

I've found that Egyptian cotton with high thread counts are the best sheets for softness and wear. Polyester is what causes the pilling. For best pricing on quality Egyptian cotton try places like Home Goods, TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning, etc.

The higher the thread count, the nicer the sheet in general. I buy sheets at Costco that are around 500 thread count with sateen weave. I have never had a sheet pill.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11756901&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90608|28683|1687&N=4047339&Mo=3&pos=5&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1687&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC14142-Cat28683&topnav=national

Ugh, this problem seems to be the baneof my existence. I have discovered that high thread count, 100% cotton sheets can and do pill! It has a lot to do witht eh threadd quality and length of the fiber, but this information is not usually on the label.

This article is good for information, but I still couldn't point out a brand for you. The last expensive set I bought from Macy's pilled in one wash.:confused:

http://www.frontgate.com/wcsstore/images/Frontgate/moreinfo/LuxuryBedding.html

This is also great ifnormation, if poorly ritten.

http://reviews.ebay.com/TRUTH-ABOUT-THREAD-COUNT-EGYPTIAN-COTTON-SHEETS-BED-SET?ugid=10000000001274215

Edited by SwallowTail

Do you have an Ikea? I have the Gaspa sheets on our bed. I've had the same set for 2 years and they are GREAT! They are really smooth and they haven't pilled at all. They are only $45 for a king-sized set. I think these are the best sheets I've ever owned (and I've had some much more expensive sets).

The higher the thread count, the nicer the sheet in general.

:iagree:

High quality high thread count sheets are so worth the money, but you have to be careful. If the price seems too good to be true for the thread count, be weary. Some companies will split the ply, or basically split the thread length-wise to make one thread count as two. So you can call it a higher thread count while using the same amount of thread. The problem is that this messes up the thread's integrity, and as I found out, the sheet won't be as soft and nice and will pill in the first wash.

I have a sateen for the winter and egyptian cotton for the summer as they breathe better. I try and keep around the 500 thread count if I can as I find they don't pill as easily as the lower thread counts. It costs a bit more, but they tend to last longer so I figure it all evens out.