Menu

Dr. Callahan dvds to accompany Jacob's Geometry... worth the price tag?

Ds will be taking geometry next year w/ the Jacob's text, and-- as I will be absolutely useless when it comes to proividing any solid helps or teaching-- I'm trying to decide between these two options:

1) an online/distance learning course (probably either VPSA or Derek Owens)

2) attempting the course w/ only the Callahan videos in hand.

The dvds = the preferable option (due to cost). However, I'd hate to get a few months in to the school year and wish, wish, wish I had simply plunked down the extra coin for a real "class"...

Any thoughts? Are the dvds helpful? Or not so much? I did not use Jacob's this year for algebra, so I'm not terribly familiar with his style-- any other recommendations to assist in fully learning & grasping this course when mom will surely be a non-player in that equation??

Edited by Virginia Heather

I can't help specifically on Jacobs Geometry, but I can tell you that the Callahan dvds for Algebra I were helpful here last year. Some of the dvd segments were very short - but they did a good job of illustrating key examples/solutions.

On one concept, we actually contacted the woman who appears in the dvds with a few questions. She created youtube videos (just for us!) that specifically answered my ds's questions. That was pretty impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's really hard to search this forum these days, as the search engine doesn't seem to work. But here are a couple of recent threads:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385006

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389208

And you might do a tag search for older threads.

I felt Callahan was a funny quote and a short example that must be connected to the lesson, but not really teaching the lesson and the DVD was hard for me to navigate (much easier on the computer than on the DVD player).

I found Owens had substantial lessons, and you don't need to take his whole class to use the lessons. If you do the lessons AND the correcting at home, it was like half of the home price.

Julie

As long-time Saxon users, I will just chime in to say that it was VERY difficult to teach Jacob's Geometry (without outside help, like these videos). The method of teaching, progression of instruction THROUGH the exercises, was difficult--and we all generally like math!

The neat part of Jacob's is that it is filled with real-life story problems and fun puzzles. One of our children liked the challenge. :001_smile:

We switched over to the new Saxon Geometry for the younger kids as a result.

I would use Derek Owens course if you're interested in using Jacobs Geometry. He will also do the grading, which is a significant problem in geometry, where the answers in the answer key are frequently not the only correct answers when dealing with proofs.

I would use Derek Owens course if you're interested in using Jacobs Geometry. He will also do the grading, which is a significant problem in geometry, where the answers in the answer key are frequently not the only correct answers when dealing with proofs.

Hmmm, I didn't consider that point! Thanks so much for pointing it out!!

I used Chalkdust Geometry this year. I purchased the DVDs and the textbook. I loved the textbook; I believe it is Larson. It was one of the best in terms of layout and concept coverage. It also had an excellent review of Algebra in almost every lesson. We used the DVDs to explain concepts I thought we needed help with, but oftentimes, the textbook covered it well enough, and we would skip the DVD lesson. BTW, I'm selling the Chalkdust Geometry DVDs if you're interested. :)

I'm not familiar your on-line alternatives, but I would go with that rather than Dr. Callahan's videos. We tried using his geometry videos with my younger son (with Jacobs) and while they were better than nothing, we stopped using them, and Jacobs, about 1/3 through the course. They simply did not go far enough with explanations. Also (it's been a while so memory fuzzy), it was hard to tell when one lesson ended and another began.

Yolanda

PS - Jacobs is great, but it definitely is not for everyone! My older son (who is gifted) did fine with it without videos or much help, my younger son, (very bright but needs more instruction and repetition) did not do well with it at all. If I had to do his math again (he just finished his freshman year) I would have chosen math curriculum and method of delivery very differently. Live and learn!