Menu

Zoology / Anatamy from Apologia questions

fourcatmom

I have a few questions, hoping someone can help. We are going to be using both the Zoology, swimming creatures book and the Anatomy book from Apologia next year.

1. Has anyone done their own notebooking pages and not bought the specific notebooks. It's going to be quite expensive to buy the spine plus two notebook journals for each subject so I just want to make they are worth it. If you bought the notebooks, did you use them and did you find it valuable.

I did just recently purchase a subscription to the Notebooking pages so I could use those but I don't know if the specific journals would be a better fit for these two programs.

2. Did you buy a kit to go along with the books? I noticed that home science tools has a kit of the swimming creatures and I think I have seen a kit for the Anatomy as well.

Did you do the projects in the book or add your own, did the kit come in handy?

3. Did you use the lesson plan book? It's not pricey but just wondering if it's necessary.

Thanks!~

Edited by fourcatmom

I just bought the Journal for Zoo 3 and I really like it and think it's more than worth it. There are animal stickers for the "map it" section, mini books, "what do you remember?" questions. I tried to wing it with my own notebooking pages but the Journal is just so much nicer and coordinates with the book. Check Christianbooks.com or Rainbow Resource.

That's kind of the way I have been leaning especially since we will do notebooking for other subjects. It might be helpful to just have a notebook handy that I don't have to think about.

Is that the junior notebook or the regular notebook that came with all the extras?

Thanks for your help.

We did Zoology 1 last year and used the notebook (not the Jr. book) and really liked it! We will be doing Zoology 2 next year and will purchase the notebook again. However, if you don't want to spend the money and you don't want to make up notebooking pages yourself, did you know that there are free notebooking sheets on the Apologia website? I am linking to the Zoology 2 book here. If you click on Course Notebook, it will take you to the free notebooking pages. They aren't as nice as the purchased notebook and you don't get all of the mini books, but I think it is great (especially for the price! ;)).

As for the lab kit, Rainbow Resources and CBD both sell a kit for around $70 that I really want to get. I know I will be more likely to do the experiments/projects if I have the kit, but it is so expensive! Surely I could buy all of that stuff for less than $70??? I don't know...I am still trying to figure that part out.

The Lesson Plan Book - I don't even know what that is! The purchased notebbook has a two day a week schedule in it, and that is how we do science, so we just use that.

HTH!

I had a friend who tried to do Zoology and Anatomy in one year and they had to drop it to one book only. Human Anatomy is quite rigorous and I feel it would be too much to combine it with another science program. We loved Human Anatomy so much with the notebooking journals and did science four days a week by chopping the 2 day schedule into parts. It is a lot of reading, a lot of try-its and then experiments. We got the kit from CBD and it was a real help becuase I didn't have to go around looking for one thing of this or 2 things of that. Everything was broken out by lesson in individual baggies. I have two kids so I got one text, two notebooking journals and one kit. Apologia is on sale at CBD and I have several free shipping coupons over $35 dollars if you would like to pm me.

I have been trying to decide what to use as well. I will

will need something for at least two of my kids. I have been looking at the lapbook instant download from A Journey Through Learning. It looks interesting and I could easily print out the copies I need. We plan on doing Zoology 2.

I am going to be buying the notebooks to go with each book. It's going to be $110 with the free shipping at CBD so not too bad. That includes both the Zoology book and the Anatomy book and 3 journal notebooks. I already have one, just couldn't decide if was worth the investment. If we can't do both in one year, we will save one.

Thanks for all the advice and the info about the store and shipping. I found the base 10 flats that I needed there as well. :001_smile: