Menu

Is it worth spending the $ on B4FIAR or should I just do FIAR?...or SL...or?

Aloha2U

I will be starting prek with my one and only ds this fall and I'm still deciding on some things I want to do with him. As I need all the help I can get, I'm looking at B4FIAR and FIAR. I can't decide whether I should start B4FIAR with him or skip it and just start FIAR. What do you recommend?

Also, I'm considering SL P3/4 or P4/5. Oh...how hard it is to make a decision when they all seem so great. However, as you may know SL is the more expensive of the two.

I already have phonics and math covered, so that's not a problem. I have read some of the past threads on both and still can't seem to be swayed either way (except for the expense).

Would it me best to just use the books lists from SL, FIAR, and AO to read aloud and not really purchase any one program in particular?

Please help!

Melissa

I haven't used SL, so I can't speak to that. I've had B4FIAR (currently loaned out). It had some useful ideas in the back for things to do with preschoolers to build various skill sets (i.e. for gross motor skills, one of the activities listed was to set up a laundry basket and throw a ball into it - not terribly complicated to do, but things I don't always think of on my own:blush:). But as far as the "activities" that go "with" the books, I think you can live without it. My advice would be just to get the children's books, read them, enjoy them, and if you think of something fun to *do* on your own - that's great!

We like AO here too!

Best wishes.

I have both B4FIAR and SL pre-K, now 3/4 and 4/5 combo. I liked the concept of B4FIAR and used it when my oldest was 2, but now I tend to use it as a reading list. It gave me a few ideas the first time around, but nothing that I could not have done without. It just gave me some direction when I knew nothing about homeschooling. The IG for the SL is helpful if you need a definite schedule (please do not be tied to it, however, it is a guide), but otherwise is not extremely helpful during this time in their lives, particularly for the cost.

I would use SL, AO and B4FIAR as reading guides, along with other books from sources such Honey for a Child's Heart, The Read Aloud Handbook, etc. If you need something more concrete to say do "this" today, I would either make a general goal of "I will read X number of books each day" or group like books together for a theme, ie bears, summer, etc. If you really needed a schedule and did not want to spend the money, there are old schedules made out in the spirit of SL using their books (made before there was a schedule for these books) on the SL preschool yahoo group.

HTH

If you go to the FIAR website you can see the book lists and read the forum messages about what others are doing with the different books. If you will have other preschoolers coming along later it's probably worth it to buy BFIAR. You can just check the books out of the local library. I think I did BFIAR for a few months before I bought the book, just using my understanding of the concept and the forum resources.

Good luck!

I borrowed FIAR from another homeschool mom. So, I only purchased one and borrowed the other. If I had to choose, it would probably be better to purchase FIAR and go the the website and look at what the books are for BFIAR.

I love, love this curriculum. BFIAR and FIAR started me in my world of homeschooling. I still follow a lot of her philosophy.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

This thread may be helpful to you:

http://www.fiveinarow.com/~gbprnhrz/forum/showthread.php?t=39453&highlight=sonlight

ETA: From looking at your other thread, for a just turned 4 year old, I would do B4 FIAR and lightly, and I do mean very lightly, begin your phonics (SWR I think you chose?) IF he is ready. I would not even think about math, health, and what not. Many experienced moms here will tell you all sort of stories regarding trying to do too much, too soon with their own babies.