Menu

HOD preparing and then MFW CTG?

Would this work? We've decided to stay with MFW for the long haul, but since we have HOD preparing and I love the looks of it I really want to do it. Would it make sense to do preparing and then CTG? I really want to use Childrens History of the world and this would allow us to do that. Am I crazy or could this work? Do they overlap too much?

Would this work? We've decided to stay with MFW for the long haul, but since we have HOD preparing and I love the looks of it I really want to do it. Would it make sense to do preparing and then CTG? I really want to use Childrens History of the world and this would allow us to do that. Am I crazy or could this work? Do they overlap too much?

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. I would think the level of overlap would be the same as it is if you do Preparing and then stick with HOD and do their Creation to Christ Guide. If you do an overview of history one year and then a specific time period the next, there's going to be some degree of overlap but overlap is a good thing :)

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. I would think the level of overlap would be the same as it is if you do Preparing and then stick with HOD and do their Creation to Christ Guide. If you do an overview of history one year and then a specific time period the next, there's going to be some degree of overlap but overlap is a good thing :)

This is kind of what I was thinking. Preparing looks so fun and I know my 4th grader (in the fall) would love it! I just don't want to fall behind in MFW or make it boring when we get to CTG since that is what we've chosen to stay with for the long road. We really love MFW and I don't want to take away from that at all.

I think it's a fine idea and DARN IT if I don't want to do the same thing. We own Preparing and I think that of all the HOD guides this is one we'd really love. However, we want to do ECC also. :glare: I'm completely torn. My oldest says, let's do both Mom. But, I'm thinking that we'd be off a year for him to complete a history cycle prior to high school.

All that fussing to say that you should go for it if you want to. Just modify for your younger. There is a LOT of copywork in Preparing (too much for my taste) and you could definitely use the worksheets that are on the HOD Yahoo group to omit some copywork while still retaining the value in the notebooking. Kayinpa put together some fabulous stuff and has shared it freely.

. There is a LOT of copywork in Preparing (too much for my taste)

My 10yods is doing Preparing this year and I was thinking the same thing about all of the copywork all year but never adjusted it. Yesterday, I had to smile because he had to copy two paragraphs of one of his books for a notebooking page and my 15yods (who has horrible handwriting) looked at the paper and exclaimed about how nice the 10yo's handwriting was. Made all that copywork well worth it.

CTC covers a longer time period than CTG. CTG ends before Rome, that is covered in the next MFW guide. CTC goes through the fall of Rome, I think.

I think your plan will work fine.:)

that's what I was thinking from tables of contents. except... I'm not sure from table of contents on HOD CTC and next program... seems like CTC might talk about fall of rome, but then Res to Ref (sorry I don't all of the HOD abbreviations) goes back a little before the fall of Rome and then moves ahead... just enough overlap to be a good thing in those programs.

and even if you switched back to hod for "res to ref" (or whatever the proper abbreviations are), you can have a little bit of catch up as needed to fill in time of gospels and acts. (might have to do that on own, but you can make it work out.)

-crystal