Menu

Latin Standards for an Expensive British Boarding School

umsami

Was searching online and came across this super exclusive British school (feeder for Eton), and found their Latin standards interesting. I took Latin back in 6th grade...and know many people here are also teaching their kids Latin. Thought it might interest people to see where your kids are compared to these kids at one of England's best schools. :)

http://www.sandroyd.org/images/more_pdf_files/new_latin_2011.pdf

I also really like their reading lists on the right nav menu. :)

http://www.sandroyd.org/content/view/85/88/

I have relatives that attend a different fancy boarding school in Great Britian, and they use Cambridge for Latin in middle school (which I probably would not care for myself, though the relative likes it). That's all I've got.

It's been 30 years since I took Latin, but I do remember one of our books was called "Civis Romanus" (Roman Life). It was actually good--or at least I remember liking it. We used to read from it, diagram sentences (always a big part of my Latin class back then), and then translate. Our textbook....I can see in my mind's eye...but no idea on the title.

There's a fancy school here that uses LNM for high school.

I just talked to someone from England and he told me that the elite schools still teach Latin and maybe Greek, but not the public schools. Most have dropped the classical languages in favor of what's modern and hi-tech. I was under the assumption that every child in England could decline and conjugate starting from first grade. :tongue_smilie:

There's a fancy school here that uses LNM for high school.

I just talked to someone from England and he told me that the elite schools still teach Latin and maybe Greek, but not the public schools.

It's not quite that straightforward. Many, but not all, private schools still offer Latin and some offer Greek. Some state schools offer Latin.

Most have dropped the classical languages in favor of what's modern and hi-tech. I was under the assumption that every child in England could decline and conjugate starting from first grade. :tongue_smilie:
In general, Latin starts anywhere from about 3rd to 7th grade, depending on the school. Where a language is taught from first grade, it's usually French or another modern foreign language.

The year/grade numbering system is different here. The outline from the original post covers years 5 to 8 - that's equivalent to 4th-7th grade.