Menu

Question about BJU Life Science (7th)

My oldest is going to use this next year, but I haven't bought it yet. If you have it, can you tell me how many total lessons it has? I am trying to figure out if we can do science two days per week or if we need to "budget" three.

Thanks!

For the second part of that question, I tried to do BJU life in 4 days/week with ds and it was terribly rushed. Dd did 5 days/week 1 hour/day and she barely finished on time. If we had done all the labs and projects we still wouldn't have made it.

You did their 6th grade science this year right? Figure on doubling that.

For the second part of that question, I tried to do BJU life in 4 days/week with ds and it was terribly rushed. Dd did 5 days/week 1 hour/day and she barely finished on time. If we had done all the labs and projects we still wouldn't have made it.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of doing two blocks of history per week and two blocks of science, but it sounds like that might not work. I need to get the curriculum in my hands so I can get a better feel for the workload.

:iagree:

My very diligent DD15 did this curriculum a couple years ago. We finished it in 27 weeks (1 chapter per week).

Day 1 Read half chapter, study vocabulary & do related Student Activity Sheet(s)

Day 2 Read 2nd half chapter, study vocabulary & do related Student Activity Sheet(s)

Day 3 Lab

Day 4 Chapter Review

Day 5 Test

I think we actually combined Day 3 & 4, which made for a long day, but she loves science so it wasn't a problem.

:iagree:

My very diligent DD15 did this curriculum a couple years ago. We finished it in 27 weeks (1 chapter per week).

Day 1 Read half chapter, study vocabulary & do related Student Activity Sheet(s)

Day 2 Read 2nd half chapter, study vocabulary & do related Student Activity Sheet(s)

Day 3 Lab

Day 4 Chapter Review

Day 5 Test

I think we actually combined Day 3 & 4, which made for a long day, but she loves science so it wasn't a problem.

Thank you. That is helpful!

My ds will be doing Life Science with the DVDs next year. I was curious as to what Activity Sheets you are referring to. I don't see anything like that listed with their materials needed for the DVDs, but it could be included in the teacher support materials. Do you have any idea?

My ds will be doing Life Science with the DVDs next year. I was curious as to what Activity Sheets you are referring to. I don't see anything like that listed with their materials needed for the DVDs, but it could be included in the teacher support materials. Do you have any idea?

The Student Activity sheets are included in the back of the student textbook. The Activity Sheets can also be purchased separately if you want to reuse the textbook with another student.

My oldest is going to use this next year, but I haven't bought it yet. If you have it, can you tell me how many total lessons it has? I am trying to figure out if we can do science two days per week or if we need to "budget" three.

We are using it this year. There are 28 chapters -- 27 in the book and one optional chapter (human reproduction) not in the book but printable from the accompanying CD in the Teacher Edition. Each chapter has an average of 3 or 4 sections.

You would have a tough time completing the course doing it twice a week. If you want to do a thorough job, you'd have to do more than that.

If you did 3 days a week, you could try to do a chapter a week, but I think you would be spending a lot of time on science on those three days, and some of the longer chapters would take you more than one week.

We are actually doing it 5 days a week, and we're on the 24th chapter right now. There is a lot to this course. It's good, though, and I'm glad we're doing it.

Diane,

Do you have a weekly schedule similar to amtmcm? Or do you do it differently?

And Diane and amtmcm, about how much time/day does your 7th grader spend on science? Or how much time/week?

Are you both using the dvd's? If not, is it fairly straightforward to implement? Or would you get the dvd's if you had it to do over?

If you do use the dvd's, do you also do labs? Or do you watch the labs on the dvd? Do your students like the dvd's or do they prefer to just read the text on their own?

Oh, and are the labs included on the dvd's you get with the dvd course or do you have to purchase the lab dvd's separately?

Thank you for any insights you can provide!

Yvonne,

I don't use a set schedule because life is extremely crazy around here. But at the beginning of the year I listed the chapters and sections on paper, and I figured a loose timetable for how long I should spend on any one chapter or section in order to complete the book in 10 months. I gave myself a lot of wiggle room because I need it. In the Teacher Edition at the beginning of each chapter you will see a timetable/schedule that BJU sets out (well it's more like a breakdown of what the assignments would be for a class over a certain amount of days, really), and it seems fairly reasonable; the chapter "schedules" are fairly similar from chapter to chapter, but they run varying lengths due to the differing amounts of material in each chapter. You could follow that or do your own thing -- I do my own thing.

We spend about 45-55 minutes on average per day, 5 days a week -- reading, highlighting, going over vocab, doing section and chapter questions, and student activities from the back of the book, some of which call for the Investigations DVD which I have and which I highly recommend getting. You don't find the DVD at sale/reduced prices anywhere that I know of, so best try to get it used. It has Mrs. Vick doing experiments and such. Very worthwhile, and an excellent addition to round out the learning. I would most certainly get the DVDs again if I had to do it over. We put the DVD session on after we finish the section in the book that relates to what she will be doing. I watch too, I wouldn't miss it. We watch (we don't "do") the experiments. I don't know about the full course on DVD, never had that, haven't seen it.

All the best!

• 3 months later...
Nakia, I was wondering how BJU Science 7 is going this year? I'm waiting until I have the money to purchase the online class for BJU 6, which I know you used last year. Do you like grade 7 as much? Do you use the online or just textbook?

Thanks!

Beck

We are using the textbook (it includes worksheets), and so far it's been great!! It's very intense, but my daughter and I both love science so that's okay. We're not doing all of the labs but, we are doing most of them. She is outlining every chapter, and that makes a good study guide and reinforces her skills from WWS. We're getting ready to start chapter 5. The only thing I will say is that I don't like the way the TE schedules the chapters, so I'm doing my own thing. That's easy enough to do.

Good luck! I'm happy to answer any questions that I can. :D