Menu

So say you had A LOT of...

Okay, you have MANY cans of Great Northern Beans (also called white northern and cannellini beans). Whatcha gonna do with them?

I had several recipes but I really want something thicker/heartier, not soupy, I guess. And maybe different.

While you're at it, a great hummus recipe would be great also. I have liked the ones I've gotten at costco/wholefoods, but hated the ones we made (like E2L). We have a vitamix so can do just about anything.

Thanks!

I am currently eating whole wheat pasta, served with a saute of garlic, onion, tomatoes (canned, petite diced), mushrooms (farmer's market!), and white beans, topped with cheddar and monterey (sp?) jack cheeses.

For Thanksgiving, among many other things, we had pot pie. I sauteed onion in olive oil, added root veggies (carrot, celery, parsnip, turnip) and sauteed until a bit soft, added flour to make a roux, and added vegetable broth to make a sauce, and stirred in white beans. Maybe some parsley or dill or something for flavor. Put into a lattice pie crust. I've also had this with mashed potato on top instead of a pie crust, or perhaps biscuit dough on top. Bake until top is golden brown.

I make a really nice Peasant Soup that is thick and so good with a side of french bread using those Northern Beans. My recipe is in my head, so I don't really have measurements, I just make it to taste.

Here is how I make it:

* 2 large cans of Northern Beans ( can be made with dry beans too)

* bacon or ham ( I make mine without veggetarian style)

* shreaded green cabbage ( I throw in half to 3/4 of a small head )

* onions chopped ( usually two nice sized ones)

* 2 bay leafs

* garlic ( as much as you like )

* red potatos chunked up evenly ( my family likes a lot, so I just thow in a whole bunch)

* salt to taste ( we like ours saltier, so I add more)

* spices of your choice, thyme is good and so is oregano or parsley

I throw in the cabbage and everything but potatos and fill the pot with water ( I use a large spaghetti sized pot, we eat a bunch of this for our family of 6) and cook for 1 and a half hours, then throw in the potatos for another half hour the potatos and cook until tender.

This is really good and my kids all love it ! It is a pretty forgiving recipe and you can add more or less of whatever you like.

Edited by Momma2Many66