Menu

Air Duct Cleaning... is it worth it?

Our house is 20yrs old. The previous owner had cats - although my dd with asthma doesn't seem to be reacting. I had the new carpets prof. cleaned before we moved in in Jan. However, Angie's List is offering a good discount on air duct cleaning and I'm wondering if I should take advantage of it.

I've heard mixed opinions about the effectiveness of air duct cleaning. What says the hive?

We had it done for the first house we bought - previous owners were *not* clean people and the house was 80+ years old. We tore out the old carpet and cleaned the ducts and removed a horribly moldy, wood floor from the basement. I don't think I would have felt good about using the heat and AC if we hadn't cleaned the ducts out, but for that situation, all 3 of those things made a vast improvement.

We had the same guy who does an awesome job on our chimney do it. Especially if you have vents in the floor. It's not just about allergies and dust when the vents are in the floor. All kinds of stuff ends up in them blocking air flow, making your system work harder to heat and cool.

For us it was worth it. We will probably do it every 10 years or so. It greatly helped my sinuses and one child had their constant runny nose issue disappear.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread as I have the same question as the original poster.  Just bought a house that had cats. I'm allergic to cats.  Professional carpet cleaning will be done.  Do I have the ducts cleaned?  Had one HVAC person tell me it wasn't worth it.  ANyone able to address this?