Menu

Must-reads for 4th and 5th grade

CandaceC

I tried searching for a similar thread...so feel free to point me in another direction if you know Of a thread. :)

I am trying to make a list of books for my girls to read next year...I don't want to miss the best ones. :) I don't really need American history suggestions, I have a list for that.

Mostly looking for classics, literature, fiction....the ones we shouldn't miss. :)

Thanks!!

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364322

Edit: Here is a short list of some books I'm considering using for my Literary Analysis class for grades 4-6 this fall.

Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters - Folk Tale

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt - Historical Fiction

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - Modern Fantasy (Animal Fantasy)

A Wrinkle in Time - Modern Fantasy (Science Fiction)

The Giver - Modern Fantasy (Challenging Ideas/Values)

Bridge to Terabithia - Contemporary Realistic Fiction (peers)

Anne of Green Gables – Realistic Fiction

Hatchet OR My Side of the Mountain OR Island of the Blue Dolphins - Contemporary Realistic Fiction (Adventure/Survival)

The Black Stallion (Adventure/Survival)

An Extraordinary Life: The Story of a Monarch Butterfly - Informational Book (physical science)

The link I gave above was helpful for me, as well.

HTH.

Edited by jpklehm

Pam, thanks again...I thought i would ask this if you are still reading. :)

Would you mind to share some ideas of what you are going to be doing in your Literary Analysis class with 4th-6th graders?? I would LOVE to hear your ideas!!

thanks!

We've loved this year:

Heidi (sweetest book - the boys adored it)

Farmer Boy (we were sad it ended; I know it's usually for younger kids but even my 5th grader thought it was fantastic)

Black Stallion

By the Great Horned Spoon (based on CA Gold Rush, but just a funny, sweet story)

Trumpet of the Swan (again, probably usually read with younger kids, but mind loved it)

The Princess and the Goblin (in the middle of it - the vocab/sentence structure is advanced but the boys are following pretty well)

Comet in Moominland (our first one read in the series - kids are enjoying it)

Just So Stories (again, probably younger audience, but they love these kinds of stories - my Ker is liking it too)

On the list (we just start a new one depending on what I feel like reading next):

Black Beauty

The Secret Garden and/or Little Lord Flauntleroy

Archimedes and the Door of Science

Swiss Family Robinson

The Princess and Curdie

Hans Brinker

The Chronicles of Narnia

And, though the question wasn't aimed at me, but we are dipping our feet into literary analysis using Teaching the Classics (well, I'm learning through Teaching the Classics so I can teach my kids). I am finding the DVDs very informative; Adam Andrews is making literary analysis much easier for me.

4th Grade Read-alouds:

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Wind in the Willows

The Chronicles of Narnia

A Series of Unfortunate Events

4th Grade Independent Reads:

A View From Saturday

From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Betsy-Tacy series

Anne of Green Gables

The Shakespeare Stealer

The Armourer's House

The Sign of the Beaver

Tom Sawyer

Pedro's Journal

The Ordinary Princess

Understood Betsy

Bedknobs & Broomsticks

Princess Academy

Dr. Dolittle

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

4th Grade Read-alouds:

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Wind in the Willows

The Chronicles of Narnia

A Series of Unfortunate Events

4th Grade Independent Reads:

A View From Saturday

From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Betsy-Tacy series

Anne of Green Gables

The Shakespeare Stealer

The Armourer's House

The Sign of the Beaver

Tom Sawyer

Pedro's Journal

The Ordinary Princess

Understood Betsy

Bedknobs & Broomsticks

Princess Academy

Dr. Dolittle

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Your list looks great, but I was surprised to see To Kill a Mockingbird in there. Is it really considered 4th grade age appropriate? I'm surprised to hear this.

Your list looks great, but I was surprised to see To Kill a Mockingbird in there. Is it really considered 4th grade age appropriate? I'm surprised to hear this.

I'd agree as well. My memory of the book is fuzzy, but even if all the content is age appropriate, I would think the themes would benefit from additional maturity. I'm in the same boat with Animal Farm for next year's reading. Ds9 may be able to read it, but can he truly understand it?

You know, I was a little nervous about doing this now, at first, but it turned out to lead to the very richest discussions we had all year. Yes, there is racism and a meanness and a life is lost - and we had so many great discussions about the history of race in this country. But the overall message is actually really beautiful and hopefull: it is a sin to cause harm to something harmless, and despite all the meanness and ugliness Scout witnesses, she ends up with the conclusion that most people are basically good. And the parent-child relationship in this book is phenomenal. And Scout being 8, a 9 year old could really, really relate. Anyway, long story short, it worked out really, really well! The reason I chose to do it now and not later was that our local theater troupe was performing it, and we read it first then went and saw the play, and afterward the actors and directors came out on stage and answered questions from the audience, and the discussion of the actors (black and white) about stepping into these shoes, using the n-word, etc. was fantastic. She got so much out of the whole thing.

One thing I'm realizing is how important it is to pre-read things, and to figure out if they are appropriate for *your* particular 4th grader, or whatever the age. Someone recommended The Calico Bush and I got it for dd, and was pre-reading it, and *the baby she takes care of crawls into the fire and gets badly burned, and eventually dies.* For me, this was terribly traumatic, and I certainly didn't want my child reading this at 9. And there are a lot of things that I wouldn't let her read alone at this age, but I am comfortable having us read and discuss them together.

Edited by rroberts707
back from dinner