Menu

Is Adding Daily Grams Too Much?

My DS will be in 8th grade next year. We're finishing R&S 5 and plan to do R&S 6 next year. (We're a bit tired of R&S, but it's working and we own it.) He's done very well with the big exception of punctuation. We're also going to be starting IEW, most likely with TWSID-B.

I still have to remind him about capitalizing the first word of a sentence and putting punctuation at the end of sentences. He knows many of these rules, but he doesn't want to be bothered with applying them. He could definitely use editing practice. The punctuation chapter of R&S 5 is the only chapter where he totally flubbed the test. (I didn't tally up a grade because it would have only upset him; I test in just a few subjects to see how he's doing.)

I don't want to overwhelm him and spike his anxiety, but we can't continue with this level of punctuation. My son is an Aspie, with ADHD, and LDs in math, reading, and writing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Instead of in tandem, what if you had him do Daily Grams through the summer?

I know he'd have a fit because he was in ps for so long and expects the break. But I wouldn't mind; I think part of his problem is laziness to proof himself. It's a rather mild consequence for that.

I've found two versions of Daily Grams, and the site shows the identical sample pages for both. Can anyone explain that? There's Daily Grams Grade 6 and Daily Grams Grade 6 Workbook.

Well, I don't know how long it takes to do Daily Grams, but if that doesn't work out you might want to take a look at Editor in Chief by The Critical Thinking Co. That's what I used with my kids this year and it doesn't take very long to do at all. If you decide to use this, I would get the workbook rather than the software. The software was a real pain to use and very time-consuming.

Lisa

Well, I don't know how long it takes to do Daily Grams, but if that doesn't work out you might want to take a look at Editor in Chief by The Critical Thinking Co. That's what I used with my kids this year and it doesn't take very long to do at all. If you decide to use this, I would get the workbook rather than the software. The software was a real pain to use and very time-consuming.

Lisa

I'm very glad to know that there's an alternative to the software; I've heard some very negative reviews of the software because it's so complex. I'll add it to the list of editing possibilities.

Now I have to figure out when we're doing editing. :confused:

The first book you linked is the one DS, 12 ADHD'er used this past school year. It helped him a lot, but he still needs work so we are trying Linguisystem's products this year.

Unfortunately, R&S and IEW were not a good fit for him.

I'll admit that I'm trying IEW out of desperation. I did a thread on it a few months ago. Doing the writing section of R&S was torture, writing prompts weren't helpful, WWE isn't working for us.

I know he'd have a fit because he was in ps for so long and expects the break. But I wouldn't mind; I think part of his problem is laziness to proof himself. It's a rather mild consequence for that.

I've found two versions of Daily Grams, and the site shows the identical sample pages for both. Can anyone explain that? There's Daily Grams Grade 6 and Daily Grams Grade 6 Workbook.

The first book is a teacher's book. It has the answers on the left side, and

a copy of the student worksheet on the right...for photocopying.

The Student workbook is just that, no answers, just student sheets.

The first book is a teacher's book. It has the answers on the left side, and

a copy of the student worksheet on the right...for photocopying.

The Student workbook is just that, no answers, just student sheets.

Thanks for clearing that up. While I could probably do it without the answers, I've found it's so much easier for me to have an answer key/TM. :001_smile:

So that's what I'll choose if/when I do the Daily Grams. It's looking as if your recommendation of doing them over the summer is going to be more doable than adding them to the school year.

This is so frustrating because he's learned so much in this area. I know some of the problems result from his LDs, but there is also laziness at work. Trying to figure out just how much of this is due to laziness has been difficult. :banghead: I've had better luck in other subjects, e. g. math.