Menu

I'll be schooling a junior this year and need help!

My son was homeschooled until 9th grade, went to the public high school for 9th and 10th, and we're going to try dual enrollment this coming year. He'll take AP statistics (math) AP ..... what ever it's called (history) and science.

I have concerns! I want him to be as self taught as possible as I need to school my younger kids.

Last night I ordered Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings. I'm nervous but their mailer said it can be self taught.

Now I was planning on Rosetta Stone for Spanish but am wondering why nobody ever mentions that here? He's had 2 years of Spanish in PS and RS told me to buy their 2nd year/level course for him. Anyone have opinions of RS?

He wanted a high school level astronomy class but I can't find one! Any recommendations?

My son wants HS geography and I'm having a hard time with this, too! Is Runkles too "young" for him? He's a pretty bright kid.

Thanks SO Much!

Denise

"Now I was planning on Rosetta Stone for Spanish but am wondering why nobody ever mentions that here? He's had 2 years of Spanish in PS and RS told me to buy their 2nd year/level course for him. Anyone have opinions of RS?"

"He wanted a high school level astronomy class but I can't find one! Any recommendations?"

Denise,

(1) Rosetta Stone isn't a real language course - or least that what many university admissions officers say. As a former Spanish teacher in the public schools here, I have to agree. Does he need another Spanish course to graduate? Our state university requires 2 years of the same language for admission (and it can't be Rosetta Stone). Taking foreign language dual enrollment would be a better option if he needs more.

(2) BJU has a Space and Earth Science course for 8th grade which I think is completely appropriate for high school. We used this course with our 9th grade daughter last year (w/o DVDs) - and it was a challenge for her. If he is science oriented, he should be able to complete it independently - though it does require specialized science equipment if he needs the lab credit.

Denise in NE

I'm teaching an 11th grader also. We used Literary Lessons a couple of years ago with both my high schoolers. It was great, and both dc said it was their favorite curriculum. Another option for astronomy is Signs and Sense (you can do a google search for this - I lost my bookmarks recently). That is only half a year, though. I'm not sure about geography. I'm sure some here can help!

Take care,

Veronica

Now I was planning on Rosetta Stone for Spanish but am wondering why nobody ever mentions that here? He's had 2 years of Spanish in PS and RS told me to buy their 2nd year/level course for him. Anyone have opinions of RS?

First of all, good luck! It sounds as though you have some good plans.

As regards Rosetta Stone, it is mentioned here fairly frequently. You can see the results of a search at this link and may find some helpful viewpoints.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/search.php?searchid=623471

Regards.

Kareni

You know as much as I mention them you think I worked for Apex. We had really good luck with them. I too have to spend time with younger so older dd is self taught but has to answer to teachers and deadlines.

Its online school, but great curriculum. Apexlearning.com. NO hoops to jump through for admission. You just pay money and start. Pretty simple.

Jet

I think Rosetta Stone is great for the speaking/listening part of Spanish, but alone it is not enough for high school. You will need to supplement with a grammar book. Dh is studying with the Practice Makes Perfect Spanish grammar and vocabulary books--he really likes them. (They're available on amazon--I think they're published by McGraw Hill).

He wanted a high school level astronomy class but I can't find one! Any recommendations?

My son wants HS geography and I'm having a hard time with this, too! Is Runkles too "young" for him? He's a pretty bright kid.

Thanks SO Much!

Denise

Christian or secular?

I'd skip Rosetta Stone. If his high school classes are anything like I'm acquainted with (I majored in Spanish, oh, so many years ago), I'd get him the Switched on Schoolhouse's Spanish II course. Most high school Spanish I and II classes do not begin to cover all that is on the Spanish II DVD. I've told my dc that if they finish SOS Span II and read a book (with a book report/paper to go with it), they would be given 3 credits of high school Spanish. I'd chose a small book in the Bible or, perhaps, a novel/short stories.

As far as geography goes, A Beka's high school geography is almost completely self-taught. I did grade the quizes and tests, but most kids could do that themselves if you wanted them to.

Jean

Again, Christian or secular?

What type of astronomy?

Signs and Seasons is by Jay Ryan. I'm into chapter 4 of this book. It is definitely a Christian perspective (lots of Bible quotes and Biblical perspective). He covers the type of astronomy that one can learn by observation with your own two eyes--all about the earth's rotation, the moon, the sun and solar system, etc.--and information the people of long ago knew because they were living so much closer to the earth and nature. Lots of labs that can be done outside at night to understand so much more about astronomy than the average chapter in a science book would have on this subject. I'm going to suggest he add tests for us high schoolers who prefer that type of grade--but so far the book has been very interesting!

If you are looking for a more modern astronomy class, I've seen Astronomy Today suggested on these boards several times. I do plan to get it someday, but have not yet. It is a college freshman class, from what I can figure out--not the high math/physics type of class, I think. It looks very interesting, too.

Another option would be to look for an astronomy club in your area (skyandtelescope.com has a listing of many of them). Our club offers a list of areas to work on and build your knowledge base. We work with anyone who wants to learn--including lending out telescopes and books to read.

J

It is in the freshman year of their schedule, but it could be used for a junior. I thought it was good, a nice blend of cultural and physical geography. Good map work, decently written text.....a little preachy on the missions side, but you can skip that if it gets to bugging you.

And a well designed teacher's ed with schedule....yeah....no planning required!