Menu

Fan-Math Process Skills

Does anyone have any feedback on this series?

http://www.christianbook.com/process-skills-problem-solving-level-3/9789810854850/pd/854850?event=CF

My oldest dd has used Singapore U.S. Edition from the beginning (workbook and textbooks) along with some Miquon in first and second grade. She has always had a problem with thinking through things and with Singapore word problems. She takes an Abeka test every week and their word problems are never an issue. Might the Fan-Math book help her?

If your daughter has trouble with setting up the Singapore word problems, then yes, I think these books will help.

I've used them since 1st grade (or the earlier iExcel version).

I don't know if you'd want to go back to an earlier level and work forward....

The iExcel books are divided into two parts.

The first part is problem solving approaches.

The second part is application to word problems with the bar model.

Some problems at early levels were just setting up an addition or subtraction (or mult/div) problem with the bars, then they lead into the word problems. Most sections have one example problem, then 4 practice problems and 1 challenge problem. The solutions are complete with all steps shown (unlike IP and CWP problems where you just get the answer).

I also don't just hand the books to my son... I'll work the problems with him (or have him work them with me working them separately, then comparing work).

I have a couple of them, and yes, they do help if your child needs it explained step-by-step. CWP, at the same level, will still have more difficult problems, but Fan math, at the same level, will give you easier problems to solve, and explain to the student how to solve them. I really like the books for kids who need a pre-CWP book.

Also, if you don't want to get the Fan books, you could just get Singapore Bar Modeling (that's not the exact name of the book, and I can find a link for you later if you are interested) for yourself so that you can really understand how SM bar modeling works with word problems.

I have a couple of them, and yes, they do help if your child needs it explained step-by-step. CWP, at the same level, will still have more difficult problems, but Fan math, at the same level, will give you easier problems to solve, and explain to the student how to solve them. I really like the books for kids who need a pre-CWP book.

Also, if you don't want to get the Fan books, you could just get Singapore Bar Modeling (that's not the exact name of the book, and I can find a link for you later if you are interested) for yourself so that you can really understand how SM bar modeling works with word problems.

Could you please link to the Bar Modeling book? :bigear: Thanks!

Edited by MrSmith

If I am understanding correctly, they are on level and show the process better than the CWP books?

for the most part. They have some different kind of problems than CWP. I think we will use them less now, and I believe I won't get any more, but we used 1 some, 2 a lot, and 3 nearly the whole book. We have only picked at 4. I think the reason is that now *I* am trained, and generally have no trouble setting up a model for whatever problem.

Edited by kalanamak

Sorry I meant to ask for the bar modeling book for teachers. I looked at their site and there are so many of them.

http://www.singaporemath.com/Math_Teacher_Resource_s/27.htm

Do you mean the Step by Step book down at the bottom?

Also here:

http://www.amazon.com/Step-Model-Drawing-Problems-Singapore/dp/1934026964

(be sure to read the review by Shark Mom)

Also, if you google

Singapore bar math you get a pdf with a clear basic intro. I'm not sure if you mean you are looking for beginner info or the more advanced stuff. This pdf has examples going into 5A, at least.

Edited by kalanamak

The one I have here is called Bar Modeling: A Problem Solving Tool. I read through it and really did not need to use Fan Math afterwards, although it's still useful for the child who may not be fully ready for CWP. Bar Modeling is one of the best books that I bought for myself, although Elementary Mathematics for Teachers has been helpful as well.

http://www.singaporemath.com/Math_Teacher_Resource_s/27.htm

Do you mean the Step by Step book down at the bottom?

Also here:

http://www.amazon.com/Step-Model-Drawing-Problems-Singapore/dp/1934026964

(be sure to read the review by Shark Mom)

Also, if you google

Singapore bar math you get a pdf with a clear basic intro. I'm not sure if you mean you are looking for beginner info or the more advanced stuff. This pdf has examples going into 5A, at least.

Thanks for the links. The PDF was pretty cool :D

The one I have here is called Bar Modeling: A Problem Solving Tool. I read through it and really did not need to use Fan Math afterwards, although it's still useful for the child who may not be fully ready for CWP. Bar Modeling is one of the best books that I bought for myself, although Elementary Mathematics for Teachers has been helpful as well.

Thank you for the links. Sounds like I'm gonna have to check that out.