Menu

Favorite Audible Books? Also, a question about listening in the car...

Halcyon

I am going to take the plunge and subscribe to Audible. Can you share your favorite downloads that you feel were "worth" the credits? I know Hakim's series is on there, so we might download that.

Also, for those of you who listen in your car, do you listen directly via your (charged) ipad or ipod? Alternatively, I could burn the books to cds, right? Maybe a better "permanent" solution?

Thanks.

Are you looking for just k-8 books, or books in general?

I listen from my smartphone or my iPod.

You can burn the book to cd, but it's not very convenient. Most audio CDs only hold 80 minutes, so it would take 10+ CDs. I've done it before, but it's not fun. You'd be much better off buying one of those cassette tape converters if your car doesn't have an aux port!

Our list of audible books is very long, and I am not sure what you're looking for specifically, so I am hesitant to advise you there. But if you have an aux port and an iPad, that is totally the way to go. Audible keeps your books for you forever, so even if you delete them off the iPad, you still have them in your account to access at any time. We adore audible!

Thanks all! Sorry I wasn't more specific-i am looking for books that I might read-aloud to them normally, but instead would download off audible--so books like Robinson Crusoe, Narnia, etc. Also non-fiction.

And thank you for the advice about the aux port! The car is in the body shop so I can't look now, but perhaps it has one that I never noticed.

We have lots of fun books on audible, but I also have serious ones, like the count of monte cristo, the Iliad, the odyssey, war and peace, crime and punishment, the psalms, The once and future king, Pyle's robin hood, Herodotus' histories, a tale of two cities and great expectations, SWB's HOMW, The little prince, etc. :001_smile: I use audible less for schooly books and more for entertainment, as we have to do a LOT of driving and it keeps 'em all pretty quiet, most of the time. :001_smile:

I'm not sure what's available on Audible, specifically, but we very often borrow CDs from the library. (We also own mp3 players, and DH and I use those in the car via radio transmitters -- an imperfect but reasonable solution.) This year, we have listened to and liked:

-Neil Patrick Harris's readings of Socks and the various Henry Huggins books -- really excellent.

-part of The Lord of the Rings and part of Redwall -- both very good, but between the accents and longer sentence structures, they are more for older kids

-Laura Amy Schlitz's The Night Fairy (short, but sweet)

-B. D. Wong's readings of The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Ralph S. Mouse, and Runaway Ralph -- particularly appealing to my 3 and 7yo boys.

-Cherry Jones's reading of These Happy Golden Years

-the Wayside School books

-From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler -- my children loved this book.

-The Sixty-Eight Rooms -- currently, and it's a fun story.

My children also very much enjoy listening to the librivox recordings of Our Island Story and This Country of Ours, particularly if they're read by Kara Shallenberger. Oh, and DS1 really loves the Alfred Molina reading of Treasure Island.