Menu

Can you recommend a kids' science magazine?

tristangrace

My Father-In-Law got my DS a subscription to National Geographic Kids and we really like it. I will see if I can find a website.

My folks got one for my kids, too. We like it, We also get Nat. Geog. Little Kids magazine, which I like even more because there is no advertising and the feature articles don't focus on upcoming movies or cartoons like I have seen often in "Kids". Both magazines come with little wildlife cards my kids collect and love to look at.

Ranger Rick/Your Big Backyard are also a great publications (done by National Wildlife Federation).

We LOVE Ranger Rick and My Big Backyard from the http://www.nwf.org/magazines/. MBBY is for ages 3-7; RR is for ages 7 & up. For K & 1, I'd go with MBBY. I am continually amazed by how much information I find in them that goes along with what we're doing in school. I cut apart a lot of them and filed things, especially for MFW K, and would pull them out and hang them up or read them when we got to the appropriate week.

I didn't care for National Geo. Kids. Seemed more like a social magazine than a science magazine to me. The Little Kids one, though, is a different story - I liked that one much better. We only got a sample, and didn't end up getting it, because my kids are pretty much too old for it. I will sign up to get it for the Snort, though, when he's old enough!

I got the National Geographic for Kids, and I have been very unhappy with it. As mentioned before, the content is not appropriate for the age range you are seeking, particularly the features (which are really advertisements) for upcoming movies. It was a major waste of money for us. Whenever the Little Kids magazine came out, I emailed customer service (through their online form) asking them to transfer our subscription because of the content. They never responded nor did they change the subscription. I feel like the Little Kids version would be below the level of my child, but I didn't even want her to see the other magazine :(

I have several old (like 10 year+) Big Backyards and Ranger Rick magazines given to me by another homeschooling mom. DD especially loves reading the stories in RR, but she is reading at around a 4th grade level. I'm not sure if the magazine format is the same, though.

My kids really like the magazines by Cricket publishing. We get Spider and Ladybug (both fiction) but they also have non-fiction magazines. Click is the non-fiction for up to age 6, Ask for ages 6-9. It's not all science (some would be social studies, I guess), but mostly science.

http://www.cricketmag.com/shop_magzines.asp

No advertising, great content.

I've heard of Zoobooks magazine, and I've looked at it online (www.zoobooks.com), but I've never actually held a copy in my hands. Does anyone know anything about it? It might be worth a look...

Each Zoobooks issue is on a specific animal (wolf, meerkat, parrot, etc). Each page is a full color, full page pic of some aspect of that animal's life, environment, etc. They are picture intensive, not word intensive, but they do have pretty good content. I'd say they are good for the younger crowd, but not enough content for an older child.

Both were gifts from my parents. I really enjoyed Zoobooks, and it served as our "animal science" in Grade 1 for DS. The pics are great, and though it is "simple", it's not THAT simple. I think it is just right for mom to read for a 1st grader, or kiddo to read if they are advanced at reading. My advance reader DD6 could read them presently, but not my DS9 when he was that age. The pics make them very enjoyable though. For more depth, a trip to the library can supplement.

I really enjoy having the old issues on hand so that the kids can look and choose from the various animals. So I might suggest if you go this route, buy an ebay lot of them instead of waiting for one a month to come in the mail! That's my vote - love Zoobooks!

GL and HTH!- Stacey in MA

Thanks for your suggestions, guys--I will be investigating all of them! I also did some research on my own and would be interested to hear if any of you are familiar with "Muse" or "Ask" magazine (done by the same people who do "Cricket" and Ladybug").

Susan

I've only browsed Muse in bookstores and haven't seen Ask, but I grew up with Cricket, and my family has loved Click, Ladybug, and Spider. The content is great, age-appropriate, and curiosity-inspiring. I can't recommend this publisher enough.

HTH!