Menu

Need Advice Is it to early for me to start homeschooling?

Guest LRebeccaD

Guest LRebeccaD

I have a 2 year old little girl she knows her numbers from 1-10 and does 2 4 6 don't ask about the 2 4 6 I don't know where she got it from . KK also knows some of the color specially if she likes the color everything is all about that color or number. She also knows the names of some animals and can sign the names of some. She also knows Spanish and some sign language. I want to know what can I do help her not loss the interest in learning. She is always asking What are you doing? you explain to her what your are doing and then she goes Why?. That is the entire day. She loves loves books and puzzles. She also knows how to ask for things in all three languages. She know about 100 words or more.

My question

Is it to early to start homeschooling her?

I would love you here your advice.

:bigear: Thanks

For me teaching/learning starts from birth. Do I think you should start workbooks, etc...no way. Should you continue reading, coloring, singing songs, puppet shows, etc...definitely. At 2, a child has lots to learn about the world around her. Keep playing and having fun, she'll learn a lot more that way.

That's my opinion...but as always, the parent knows their child best. Follow your daughters cues. Have fun, this age is precious.

Welcome to the boards!

If you are looking for something fun for you to do with your daughter then no, it's not too early. I think it would be a mistake to drill her in school every day though.

My favorite preschool program is Before Five in a Row. I also like Five in a Row for Kindergarten. Take a look at their website. http://www.fiveinarow.com/ You read great children's book with your child and then explore topics as they relate to the stories.

DH and I always knew we wanted to homeschool, and I began my search when DS was 2yo. I had moments of complete panic. "There's no WAY I can do it!!!" It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the information out there. It's also easy to compare your children to others or push them to do better

than the public school kids. Try not to get caught up in all that. But use these early years to formulate your plan for your family and figure out what goals you want to accomplish. Blessings!

In my opinion, 2 yrs old is pretty young to begin anything formal. However, there are alot of things you could do with her now. Here are some suggestions of things that my dc have enjoyed at that age:

1. You could read to her....ALOT. Stop on each page & let her look at the pictures and comment on them. The book Honey For A Child's Heart has alot of good book recomendations for that age.

2. If you watch tv, find the movie Leap Frog Letter Factory. It is wonderful. My 2 yr old has learned all of his letter sounds just from watching it.

3. Get alot of Arts & Craft supplies - construction paper, crayons, child scissors, glue. Let her cut, glue, color. That will help with her fine motor skills.

4. Take her to library story time, the zoo, other age appropriate field trips.

5. Take her outside & let her explore nature.

6. Teach her with everyday things. Let her help you cook,clean, do laundry, etc.. Ask her questions periodically (what color is this block? How many cheerios do you have? etc....)

All that being said, when my now almost 6 yr old was that age, I was on the search for curriculum for a 2 yr old. I couldn't wait to "homeschool" him. I bought Abeka Nursery curriculum. If you're looking for something to use for her they have some cute art books for her age, but they're not necessary. Also, letteroftheweek.com is a free curriculum that is pretty simple to do. They have one for 2 yr olds.

HTH:)

You already are homeschooling her. And so far, it sounds like you're doing a great job! There is so much more to homeschooling than textbook/workbook and whiteboard presentation (which was an image stuck in my head). And realize that many families continue on the path your on, even at ages 5+...teaching as learning opportunities arise, capitalizing on their child's interest, using the world as their classroom, etc. And those kids turn out great! By talking to her about everything going on, reading books to her, listening to her, you are helping her build all those brain pathways that will lead to reading, speaking, writing later on. Those are important skills! So...are you a homeschool mom? Yes, absolutely!

2nd for Before Five in a Row! I used it for my 2yr and 4yr old. I taught to my 4yr old, but I know my 2yr old had a great time too. She actually started talking about some of the stories which floored me since she doesn't ever appear to be an active participant in story time. She said "Ask Mr. Bear" when we were driving through the woods the other day which goes along with the book "Ask Mr. Bear". I know for a fact that she didn't actually sit down to listen to this one or was even involved directly with my son's work on this book. So, I asked my husband if he has read it to her, and he said "no". She also picked up on "Brown, Bear, Brown Bear" and started making up her own words on by herself appropriate to the same rhyme pattern. We loved it and there while I still did work with my son, they also did actvities together as well as many family fun nights related to the books we were reading that week. I know I have posted this a few times before, but it is a great resource for Before Five in a Row.

http://theboughfamily.blogspot.com/

I always say, the best thing you can do right now is HAVE FUN!

I do still have my manual if you would like to buy it since I am done with these books. There is writing in it, but it is otherwise in great condition.

I have a 20 month old that can do her abc's knows them by site and sound. She can count to 10. She has about 300 signs. She knows animals, sounds and geometry shapes. She loves playing with blocks puzzles and her USA map. She loves to color and "write". She does play dough and paint play in her rice or sand box. We have a container that has lotion in it for her make art in and draw (she cant use whipcream and I dont buy shaving creme but same idea)

We are "teaching" fraction by having measuring cups in the bathtub and filling the cup with the other cups. We are teaching her responsibity by the fact that she picks up her own toys and brings her dishes to the sink. We keep everything a game. Even when we were making pancakes or blueberry muffins for breakfast she is doing it with us and we are talking about solids and liquids and cups and teaspoons ect. I dont know how much is sinking in but hearing the vocabulary is good enough for me.

She also has been speaking in full sentences for a while. We are adding Mandrin as that is what her Aunt speaks and her cousins will be as well. This so far is just done via Muzzy watching the cartoon or having it on in th background while she is playing with her toys.

Never too young... At that age I used to do a letter a week. You can do letters in play doh in sand and my childrens favorite shaving cream in the bath.

I would follow your gut...with how much you do. Most of all my children were reading by about 3-4 at different levels. You can also do alot of sorting and counting.

I would not start any formal workbook training, but that was just for my kids, but then again mine started doing workbooks at about three - and most would have said that was too early...

So I would say if your child wants it - then go for it...

I'll agree with the above posters who said no to a formal program. But I do think that the two of you could have a lot of fun if you structure your time a little bit. When my girls were that age, I tried to work in themes. I think that just having a theme for the week helps structure everything--from reading to snacks to crafts and activities. Let's say you decided to do a "pumpkin" theme in the fall. Spend the week talking about pumpkins, singing songs about pumpkins, and reading books about pumpkins (use the library!) Watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown when it's time for a video. Choose a few pumpkin crafts and activities to do. Throughout the week, try a snack having to do with pumpkins (maybe make pumpkin-shaped sugar cookies and decorate them to bring to friends or neighbors). Make pumpkin muffins for breakfast, and let dd help measure and stir. Then top off the week by going on Saturday as a family to the pumpkin patch, so your daughter can choose a pumpkin of her own. Honestly, you'd probably do most of those things anyway (crafts, snack, video, reading, baking together,...). This just gives a framework to operate in, and it feels like you've accomplished something by the end of the week! Viola! School!

A website that I really enjoy for kids that age (and that might be helpful in planning your themes) is www.everythingpreschool.com. Start with the tabs on top..."our themes" and "alphabet ideas" are the most useful. Then pick and choose what you want to do, either by what your daughter is currently interested in or by what season it is. Another good website is www.letteroftheweek.com. There's a preparatory curriculum there that's intended for 2-4 year-olds. It also works in themes, so you might use both for some fun ideas.

Hope that helps!

Sarita

and you have been homeschooling all along. There will be plenty of time to do formal school later. All the preschool suggestions sound great. Just go with her flow. My dd is almost 3 and she sounds very similar to yours. As long as you keep on reading and playing with her, and encouraging her to ask questions, she will be learning. As far as workbooks go, if she's interested, that's fine, though not necessary. Hope that helps!

It sounds to me like what you are doing is working;) Don't change it, just keep giving her little brain food to chew on. More read-alouds, fun games with letters/sounds, games with numbers...but keep it natural and fun and child-led. Make sure she has plenty of time outside to explore nature, pulling apart plants and chasing insects.

2yo need to learn discipline, but not in the area of academics. Teach her how to dress herself, simple chores for the family, etc...

You already are homeschooling her. And so far, it sounds like you're doing a great job! There is so much more to homeschooling than textbook/workbook and whiteboard presentation (which was an image stuck in my head). And realize that many families continue on the path your on, even at ages 5+...teaching as learning opportunities arise, capitalizing on their child's interest, using the world as their classroom, etc. And those kids turn out great! By talking to her about everything going on, reading books to her, listening to her, you are helping her build all those brain pathways that will lead to reading, speaking, writing later on. Those are important skills! So...are you a homeschool mom? Yes, absolutely!

:iagree: You already are! You have already gotten some great advice and I just want to repeat that reading aloud is the BEST thing you can do right now and I think Before Five in a Row would be an excellent start if you want to do something a little more structured - although that is definitely not necessary. As far as math goes, I'd keep talking about math as it comes up in everyday life - no formal instruction at this stage of the game.

Sounds like you have a very bright daughter - best wishes for all your homeschooling years ahead!

If YOU want a curriculum/schedule to follow, that's fine, just choose something age appropriate. Before Five in a Row, Sonlight PK 3/4 and Letter of the Week are all great choices for that age and for the next couple of years.

If your dd wants to do workbooks, check out Kumon or Rod and Staff's earliest books. Kumon in particular is fine for 3 yos who want to do "school".

You don't NEED anything at all to keep your dd learning for the next few years. It totally depends on your teaching style if you feel the need for outside lists to check off or not.

If you want to get something that gives you a little direction I highly recommend Handsonhomeschooling.com They have an Age 2 curriculum that my son loved. Also there is Little Hand to Heaven at heartofdakota.com that he loved as well. The Kumon workbooks start at Age 2 also. You can get those from Barnes and Noble.

I like "homeschooled since birth." :001_smile: Obviously whatever you're doing is working... I'd just keep it up. No pressure, just facilitate her curiosity in a fun, easy, age-appropriate way.

And of course, reading... lots and lots of reading, looking at books, make sure she has books to look at independently... smile when she wants to take a stack of books to bed, and always, always honor her requests to read to her!

I want to know what can I do help her not loss the interest in learning...Is it to early to start homeschooling her?

Children are naturally interested in learning. Unless you were to directly try and shut down that natural bent, nothing you do will cause her to lose it. Enjoy life with your little person. Read and talk and walk and so on and so forth. Trying to structure her learning, in my opinion, is not necessary or preferable.

Guest LRebeccaD
2nd for Before Five in a Row! I used it for my 2yr and 4yr old. I taught to my 4yr old, but I know my 2yr old had a great time too. She actually started talking about some of the stories which floored me since she doesn't ever appear to be an active participant in story time. She said "Ask Mr. Bear" when we were driving through the woods the other day which goes along with the book "Ask Mr. Bear". I know for a fact that she didn't actually sit down to listen to this one or was even involved directly with my son's work on this book. So, I asked my husband if he has read it to her, and he said "no". She also picked up on "Brown, Bear, Brown Bear" and started making up her own words on by herself appropriate to the same rhyme pattern. We loved it and there while I still did work with my son, they also did actvities together as well as many family fun nights related to the books we were reading that week. I know I have posted this a few times before, but it is a great resource for Before Five in a Row.

http://theboughfamily.blogspot.com/

I always say, the best thing you can do right now is HAVE FUN!

I do still have my manual if you would like to buy it since I am done with these books. There is writing in it, but it is otherwise in great condition.

My dd loves Brown Bear and The Very Hungray Caterpillar. Thanks I will definitly look into that.