Menu

Deciding how I want to use k12 human odyssey...

I already know I will be correlating it with SOTW ancients, which older ds has been through but the first time for younger. I have the teacher and student pages and have been thinking of using pieces of that. I have also been looking at History Odyssey Ancients level 2. Or c, just go on my own with the plan laid out in WTM? I don't want t o complicate things. I want nicely rigorous but not overboard, as we will also be doing WWS for writing and doing some rigorous online language classes. And I also want to keep it enjoyable and do some of the SOTW projects which he will still love, and try to keep the historical fiction light so we can focus on other literature.

We're doing world geo next school year, but the year after that I will be using K12 HO with my older student and SOTW with my younger one. I don't think I will bother buying a copy of the K12 student pages but rather have DD do WWS-style outlining and summarizing. I will probably also use selected discussion questions from Bring History Alive! since I already own that.

We have been using the K12 Human Odyssey books for our second rotation of History, having used SOTW in Elem. We did try adding History Odyssey vol 2 Medieval for the 6th grade but decided that we would just keep it simple and use Hum Ody. for 7th/8th. We are finishing up Vol 3 of Human Odyssey this year in 8th grade - we stretched out volumes 1-3 over four years.

Our simple approach has been to read one chapter/week, outline it and write an essay on a topic once a week. Of course, ds read several books recommended in the WTM logic stage lists. This has worked for us.

HTH

I already know I will be correlating it with SOTW ancients, which older ds has been through but the first time for younger. I have the teacher and student pages and have been thinking of using pieces of that. I have also been looking at History Odyssey Ancients level 2. Or c, just go on my own with the plan laid out in WTM? I don't want t o complicate things. I want nicely rigorous but not overboard, as we will also be doing WWS for writing and doing some rigorous online language classes. And I also want to keep it enjoyable and do some of the SOTW projects which he will still love, and try to keep the historical fiction light so we can focus on other literature.

I'm in the same boat so I'm hoping for more thoughts from people who have BTDT. I've decided not to line it up with SOTW as I like the flow of the book itself, but I'm just not sure what I'm going to require as far as output from my DD right now. I'm buying a used copy of the K12 TM and student pages so that I can check them out, but I know that we won't use it all (if any).

I'm piecing together my own plans, using some components of the K12 student pages. I especially like some of the graphic organizers (comparing the ancient civilizations, comparing the world religions, etc). Outlining history ala WTM about killed love of history for my older ds. With younger ds, I'm going to give him a variety of assignments, including projects to keep the spark alive.

I just wanted to mention that you can download the HO Lev 2 Ancients sample to get a look at it. I've compared the K12 Vol 1 book with level 2 Ancients and the only difference that I can see is the level 2 Ancients briefly covers South America.

The spine for lev 2 Ancients is the red KFH. You could use KFH with what you already have and use the plan for WTM with little difficulty. Just a thought. The k12 Vol 1 book is awesome and a pleasure to read.

I bought both the K12 teacher guide and student pages but ended up only using a page here and there. Mainly my dd would outline and summarize on a regular basis plus other larger writing assignments and extra reading/DVDs. And always lots of discussion. Those books are still my dd's favorite for history. Although she liked SOTW, she appreciated the flow in HO better.

We did that this year. Younger two did SOTW Ancients, oldest did Human Odyssey. I reordered HO to match up (as best I could) with SOTW, and for chapters where there was no correlation added in some magazine articles from Archaeology magazine. I also used the student pages... there was a lot of wasted paper, but I was happy with the reading questions, occasional mapwork, and occasional further projects -- like making a chart of major religions and their similarities and differences... or comparing/contrasting life in Athens vs life in Sparta. Yes, I could have planned that on my own, but I appreciated having it already laid out for me.

Next year I'll have my youngest in SOTW 2, my middle in HO, and my oldest in highschool (we'll be following the WTM recs). I'll coordinate the younger two like I did this year, it worked well since we generally orient ourselves around a single topic -- extra books, movies, games, documentaries, etc.

We have used K12 Human Odyssey this year and love it! I have emphasized the "themes" presented in HO (e.g., how a civilization starts, commonalities between early civilizations, etc.). versus "the facts" from the grammar stage.

I preread the chapter and identify key words/people/dates. Then, DS11 reads, defines the words/people for inclusion in his notebook, and adds the dates to his timeline. We discuss the chapter, then he writes in response to one or two questions I come up with (1-3 paragraph answers). I usually try to focus the questions on specific ideas in the chapter rather than request a summary of the whole chapter (too overwhleming for him).

We also read supplemental material, do associated mapwork (maps from History Odyssey), and do projects. DS9 is using SOTW at the same time and a realigned it to go with HO.

Hope that helps!

ETA: We going at a pace of about 1 chapter every 1-1/2 to 2 weeks because we will only cover Ancients this year. the book itself also has Middle Ages, which we will do next year.

Edited by linders

Thanks all for your thoughts. We will have several other heavier subjects, including literature and writing, so somewhere more than light but without heavy outlining. Maybe we'll focus on the timeline, mapping, and biographies and write short summaries of the major events. I also want to include memory work this time around. If I keep the written type output lower I think we will enjoy it. Also projects, we didn't do as many as I wanted with SOTW so this time we can combine some with art and do more art centered projects to kill two birds with one stone.