Menu

Frustrated, just need to vent

How do I explain certain phrases to my 8yo who's tested as gifted: "In General", "Exact Amount", etc? It's been a rough morning and things like this are sending me over the edge...

It's all I can do not to say, "Seriously, Dude?" to my own kids.

Thanks!

FWIW I made her get the dictionary.

I explained it in terms of percentages. Exact amounts were a specific percentage, then "around" would be to the left or right of that percentage but not an exact number.

"In general," I'd translate to "more often than not," which I'd then translate to more than 50% of the time.

Both my kids have had phases like this where they wanted text book definitions of certain words, colloquial phrases, or common expressiosn and I know exactly what you mean about driving you nuts! :banghead: No great suggestions, but sympathy!

Both my kids have had phases like this where they wanted text book definitions of certain words, colloquial phrases, or common expressiosn and I know exactly what you mean about driving you nuts! :banghead: No great suggestions, but sympathy!

Thanks, this is where we are today!

Exactly - math

In General - LA

I know she knows the meanings b/c this is how dh and speak in daily life. She just gets caught up in the minutia and, quite frankly, likes to see me lose my #$@$@........j/k.......maybe. ;)

I vote for saying "Seriously Dude?" with the arched eyebrow and skeptical look!

I can SOOOOO sympathize with you. I had a 16yo arguing with me about the meaning of "hardly ever" last week!

My second choice would be to get out a handful of chocolate chips. Eat "Exactly Four" chips to show the kid. Then show how you can eat "in general" four or five chips. Then eat all the rest of the chips. At least you will feel better about the whole thing! :lol:

I vote for saying "Seriously Dude?" with the arched eyebrow and skeptical look!

I can SOOOOO sympathize with you. I had a 16yo arguing with me about the meaning of "hardly ever" last week!

My second choice would be to get out a handful of chocolate chips. Eat "Exactly Four" chips to show the kid. Then show how you can eat "in general" four or five chips. Then eat all the rest of the chips. At least you will feel better about the whole thing! :lol:

O.M.G!!!! I am soooooooooo doing this!!!!

It will be doubly sweet b/c she loves chocolate.