Menu

Dog psychology and training

What are your favorite resources (books, websites, anything) for learning how to train a dog? I'm not talking about extensive training, but what's needed for a good family/companion dog. I've always just taken a sort of "wing it" approach and done my own thing, rewarding with treats in the beginning, and then just a verbal reinforcement or petting later on. I'm sure there are better and more systematic approaches!

Also, when I go to the local shelter to chose a dog, how can I "interview" (for lack of a better word) the dog to know whether s/he will be a good companion dog, emotionally healthy? Of course I know that anything obvious like growling or snarling is a bad sign! But I'm sure there are more subtle signs, and I'm not sure I would pick up on them.

I love dogs, and I've always owned a dog. Yet I feel like there is so much more to learn about them! Can you help me better understand the mind of a dog? :001_smile:

Thanks!

If you're getting a shelter dog, the book Second-Hand Dog is a good resource. As far as training, I've always gone to training centers so the dog has the added bonus of being socialized during training and having the built-in distractions of other dogs and people.

I know he isn't popular here, but The Dog Whisperer has helped us tremendously with our dogs. Here is a link to the National Geographic online so you can watch a few of his shows and see what you think:

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/nat-geo-wild/full-episodes-1/

ps - There is an episode that deals with going to a shelter and finding a dog that will be a good fit for your family. I'm not sure if it is still available on the link I gave; maybe Netflix?

Edited by Mothersweets

Clicker training was helpful with our dog, who had some fear issues...negative types of training just made him more anxious.

I haven't looked into it for years but we used Karen Pryor's books and worked with a behaviorist type of trainer who really "got" our dog. It was much more effective than pop and jerk obedience type classes we had taken in the past.

My first recommendation is to get into a puppy obedience class that uses positive training. With previous dogs, we've done the more traditional pop and jerk classes, but I really prefer the positive approach. It's good for basic obedience, but more importantly, it's great for socialization (is it ok to use that word here?:))

We are also doing clicker training. None of the local dog training centers use it, so I'm learning on my own. I've really enjoyed Karen Pryor's book "Reading the Animal Mind". It's not a training manual, but is an interesting read about why and how clicker training works. There are some good online lessons here. I've just downloaded Shirley Chong's books "Clicker Cookbook" and Just Plain Clicker Sense" but haven't yet read them. They look good though.

Peggy Tillman's Clicking with your Dog is good too.

Patrician McConnell has some good, easy to read books. Positive reinforcement, but not clicker training, if that isn't what you want to do. Any clicker training book would be great, or video. Or Ian Dunbar has some great videos, and free training info online.

I know he isn't popular here, but The Dog Whisperer has helped us tremendously with our dogs. Here is a link to the National Geographic online so you can watch a few of his shows and see what you think:

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/nat-geo-wild/full-episodes-1/

ps - There is an episode that deals with going to a shelter and finding a dog that will be a good fit for your family. I'm not sure if it is still available on the link I gave; maybe Netflix?

FYI, various groups, including humane societies, veterinary behavior colleges, etc have warned against trying the Dog Whisperer's approach, as it could be dangerous. This goes triple for a shelter dog, and quadruple for kids.

Get a positive reinforcment book or better, video, so the kids can train too.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Can't wait to check them out!

I've never heard that phrase, pop and jerk, before. But I gather this is a form of negative reinforcement?

It refers to the "pop and jerk" of a choke chain, aka training collar. They CAN be used without pain/injury to a dog, but only by people that know what they are doing, and only with certain dogs. Stubborn dogs, dogs with a high pain tolerance, and people with bad timing can be a nightmare if they use this method, at best accomplishing nothing, and at worse ending up with damaged tracheas. (don't ask me about the poor maltese that ended up badly damaged at a local trainer's "school".)

FYI, various groups, including humane societies, veterinary behavior colleges, etc have warned against trying the Dog Whisperer's approach, as it could be dangerous. This goes triple for a shelter dog, and quadruple for kids.

Get a positive reinforcment book or better, video, so the kids can train too.

I appreciate both the original suggestion, and your further comment on it. My husband really dislikes the Dog Whipserer, so I'd rather find a different expert and method that we could both agree on.

It refers to the "pop and jerk" of a choke chain, aka training collar. They CAN be used without pain/injury to a dog, but only by people that know what they are doing, and only with certain dogs. Stubborn dogs, dogs with a high pain tolerance, and people with bad timing can be a nightmare if they use this method, at best accomplishing nothing, and at worse ending up with damaged tracheas. (don't ask me about the poor maltese that ended up badly damaged at a local trainer's "school".)

I see. Thanks. That's not a method I would feel comfortable with.