Matisse

Jacob Lawrence

Da Vinci

Georgia O'Keefe

Henri Cartier-Bresson

Miro

???

Can't decide on a last one.

I chose them based on each one offering a different style (Monet and Renoir being the exception... but how can you choose?), plus art that kids seem to really identify with and enjoy looking at.

Ah, how could I forget Bruegel! That's my #10. Excellent choice for children.

I love that included names I'd never heard before. And it never occurred to me to include photographers.

And I left off some obvious choices... Picasso, Cassatt :) I know that Picasso is usually a go-to for young kids, partly because his style is very accessible and easy for kids to emulate. But as an artist he requires so much context I don't really like the simplified criticism and explanations of his work that are presented to children.

To expand on my choices, here's why I would make these the top 10:

Monet is all about light. The man just saw light in some extra dimension that us mere mortals don't understand and which we take for granted.

Renoir is all about stroke, particularly his backgrounds.

I think van Eyck is usually overlooked for children, and I don't know why. The Arnolfini Wedding Portrait is fascinating to look at, particularly the details in the mirror. Man with a turban seems pretty boring at first glance, but the turban itself is just an amazing portrayal of shadow.

Matisse's paper cuttings are so simple, but so evocative, and children get a kick out of making their own paper cuttings.

For Lawrence I'd concentrate on the Migration Series, and look at both the storytelling, and the color. His use of color is amazing.

Da Vinci did so much it's hard to know where to start, but I'd probably actually concentrate on his sketching. I think it's easy to accidentally teach kids "there are famous artists, and they sit down and paint amazing things!" without ever really teaching about how it takes years of study and lots of practice.

Georgia O'Keefe is kinda tough, because kids grow up and realize the paintings they thought were really nifty flowers as a kid, are actually all about sex. LOL. But they really are amazing. I would teach her flower close-ups, because they're ostensibly about carefully looking at a tiny object and dissecting it to all of its essential parts.

Henri Cartier-Bresson is the only photographer on the list, so he's kind of a different category. His big thing was capturing a moment, and not cropping the photo or really manipulating it. I think that's an interesting lesson in really looking at your surroundings. The really striking thing in his street photography is his use of line. You can see what I mean in the photos at the bottom of this page: http://www.dailyartfixx.com/2010/08/22/henri-cartier-bresson-1908-2004/

I don't really know why I included Miro, except that I went to a Miro show last summer and took my then 4 year old, and she just LOVED it. I wasn't sure how it would go. But she saw things that the grown ups in our party totally missed. And a little bit of surrealism is good for the developing mind :)

And Breugel's fun paintings are just so much FUN. I'd probably skip the creepy death one, but the one of nursery rhymes and the one of children playing are just fab. His use of line and color is really interesting, and the stories he's telling are really unique for the time.

And Breugel's fun paintings are just so much FUN. I'd probably skip the creepy death one, but the one of nursery rhymes and the one of children playing are just fab. His use of line and color is really interesting, and the stories he's telling are really unique for the time.

Agreed - I would never have picked Breugel, but we've done 2 now with Classical Writing - Primer Spring - and my dd has really enjoyed them. There are so many DETAILS, it's almost like a Where's Waldo!

eta - both so far have had themes we knew already, which helps - icarus falling and the tower of Babel. Will look into more kid-friendly choices as well...

Pollock is another one included in our artist curric and most kids enjoy him, but my dd did not. lol i like some of the others mentioned here. thanks!

unfortunately, i know nothing about art and have been having a difficult time teaching it. is there some sort of art for dummies book i could read/use to learn myself? dd is only seeing the obvious surface stuff and i have no idea how to get her to look deeper because i don't really know myself. :/

I think van Eyck is usually overlooked for children, and I don't know why. The Arnolfini Wedding Portrait is fascinating to look at, particularly the details in the mirror. Man with a turban seems pretty boring at first glance, but the turban itself is just an amazing portrayal of shadow.

I actually think Man with a Turban looks just like Professor Quirrel from Harry Potter! I'm tempted to tell my daughter than Van Eyck was famous for painting dark magicians.:D

I actually think Man with a Turban looks just like Professor Quirrel from Harry Potter! I'm tempted to tell my daughter than Van Eyck was famous for painting dark magicians.:D

LOL, that's awesome! I never thought of that connection, but that's definitely a good one. And you're right... the man with a turban has sort of a haunted look in his eyes, definitely like he's hiding a secret ;)

Guest Kendrick

Hi Nellecv,

Very informative link and thanks for the share. I was looking for top artists list for primary kids to study when I found your useful post with this link. I have bookmarked the link and will share with my friends and family.