Menu

Source to teach 8th grader notetaking/outlining?

MunRoLy

I'm looking for something to just teach notetaking/outlining for my 8th grader. Not writing or grammar. Currently when she has to write a report on a topic the notes she takes from books are complete sentences. I admit I struggle with this too, so I'm not much help!

I'm looking for something to just teach notetaking/outlining for my 8th grader. Not writing or grammar. Currently when she has to write a report on a topic the notes she takes from books are complete sentences. I admit I struggle with this too, so I'm not much help!

Here and here are 2 books a friend uses and just raves about! She said they have worked wonders! I personally have not used them.

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I used the Step by Step Outlining book with my kids when they were in 6th grade. My 8th grader is also going through the book Learning to Learn and the video series How to Be a Superstar Student by The Teaching Company.

I've done formal outlining with my dd, but actually these days I've been having her use a mind-mapping (graphic organizer, bubbles and stuff) app on the ipad. You could also do it on the whiteboard. Just a totally different way to get to the same place. There have been other posts about this. I think Nan in Mass does something similar and calls it spider webs. The added visual really helps my dd see structure. The app we're using is Popplet. We're using the lite version, haven't tried the paid.