Menu

bar models in math

silver

I plan on using Math Mammoth with my children. I also really like Singapore's model method for being able to do problems without using algebra.

Does MM go in depth enough into the bar models on its own, or would I want to teach them more? I was thinking of picking up The Singapore Model Method for Learning Mathematics (I can get it used for cheap) to help me teach them on my own, if need be. Is it worth it or will MM cover it well enough?

Edited by silver too

Sorry, no familiarity with MM's content. Can you try to view some samples online? Otherwise, you might want to modify your title to ask about the specific MM levels you are asking about so that folks who use the curricula will (hopefully) take a look at your post.

ETA: The website Singapore Maths Teacher offers video tutorials on using the bar method.

It goes into more depth each year, with the 5th grade level having the most depth for bar model problem solving. As for whether you need more, I don't think you need more than what's in MM unless you're adding problems from some other source (like maybe the extra challenging ones in CWP).