Menu

Human Body Detectives - on HSBC; any reviews?

Stef03

I was looking at Human Body Detectives on the Homeschool Buyers Co-op https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/human-body-detectives/ it sounds pretty good and the possible 70% off discount (full package at $111 instead of $370) is very appealing :P

However I've never heard of this series before... has anyone here used it? Is it worth the $? Also, I noticed on the co-op's page it mentions it's for grades 3-5; but on the description is says it's aimed at kids ages 6 to 10 - would a 6 year old (reading at 2nd grade level) find this too complicated? Thanks!

I was looking at Human Body Detectives on the Homeschool Buyers Co-op https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/human-body-detectives/ it sounds pretty good and the possible 70% off discount (full package at $111 instead of $370) is very appealing :P

However I've never heard of this series before... has anyone here used it? Is it worth the $? Also, I noticed on the co-op's page it mentions it's for grades 3-5; but on the description is says it's aimed at kids ages 6 to 10 - would a 6 year old (reading at 2nd grade level) find this too complicated? Thanks!

I think I am missing something major here. There are only like 3 books at 12.95 a piece even the workbooks are not much where is 370.00 coming from? Maybe the website is messed up or something?

I think I am missing something major here. There are only like 3 books at 12.95 a piece even the workbooks are not much where is 370.00 coming from? Maybe the website is messed up or something?

http://www.humanbodydetectives.com/curriculum?utm_source=This+Week+at+the+Co-op+2012-04-30&utm_campaign=HSBC-2012-04-30&utm_medium=email

It's because it's the curriculum version with lessons etc (see link above) that is being offered on HSBC; not just the books with workbooks. However I hadn't even seen that they sold just the workbooks... hmm.... anyone know if the curriculum version is worth the more $$?

Edited by Stef03

... games and worksheets comfortably stretch each module out over at least 4 weeks. Each of the four 50-minute lesson plans gets you started with your week and then you pick as many of the exploration games and activities provided to round out the rest of the week. You probably won't want to try to fit all of the activities into your schedule but you have the flexibility to pick and choose ;)

The

by Dr. Heather gives you a glimpse into the teacher/parent support materials, labs and other activities the full curriculum provides.

I only wish these were available when my son was younger!

Aloha,

Kristin

Edited by beautifulbooks
typo

I need to go back and look again, but I thought you could only add the (cheaper) books on to an order. You have to get the video lessons and then you could choose to purchase the accompanying book. You have to spend the big bucks first!!

I can't seem to find video lessons? Do you have a link?

From what I understand you receive the story books (the pdf form is included the bundle) along with their audiobooks, the lessons, worksheets, activities, games - along with a few extras. So to me this sounds pretty complete, I don't think there's anything else you could add to it? (apart from the story books if you want a printed copy instead of the pdf version).

I've just noticed that they're now accepting conditional % off orders :tongue_smilie:

I did a review of one of the books on my blog (which is no longer active...) but I honestly think it's a lot of money for what you get. The stories are good and engaging. They feature two sisters who basically end up inside the body and have adventures while learning a particular system. I haven't seen the "curriculum", but the set I have came with an audio CD and a workbook that was pretty much just word searches and the like. Nothing really exciting. So I'm not sure if the curriculum set adds more than that or not. I have one of the iPad apps and it's really well done. But I remember thinking that they were nice supplements when I did my review, but not near meaty enough for a full program. If you have extra money in the budget and want a fun supplement to learn the body's systems, they're cute.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hrrmmm - either i didn't read carefully enough before I bought this, or I'm not reading carefully now. Did this not include electronic versions of the books (other than audio??)

:(

No you read it carefully, it is supposed to be included so looks like they forgot to include it. I've emailed them asking them about it (I'm sure others have too) so they'll probably add it soon :)

Also, if you got the superbundle - does your link to the Immune System work? as mine takes me to Nutrition so the password doesn't work. I wouldn't mind the correct link if anyone has it (already got password).