Menu

Typing Instructor Platinum for Mac...does it work on your Mac?

I am seeing some negative reviews for Typing Instructor Platinum that even though it says it works for Mac, it does not. But those reviews could be older..yada, yada. Thought I would ask you all.

Specifically this version, I guess? I don't think I want the kids version as my dd is older and already told me she thought Dance Mat Typing was babyish.

My system is a MacBook with OS 10.6.8

Thanks!

Dance Mat is babyish. Try this instead. It is much higher level and not at all babyish, but still free and works perfectly on a Mac. :D

http://www.typingweb.com/tutor/

Thanks! I did find this. I had done a forum search and did see some free ones. It's the ads I hate! But I see with this one you can upgrade for a minimal fee $8 I think, to get rid of the ads and get even more content. I am going to try the free version for a while I guess.

Mavis Beacon for mac works great and isn't babyish. I can't remember if we ever installed Typing Instructor on our mac or not. We used it on our pc. Mavis Beacon is better anyway. Better games. More pricey admittedly but worth it.

See, I looked at reviews and samples of Mavis and thought it looked incredibly boring. And read reviews. TI seemed to get better reviews and I liked the interface (not the kids version, too young). But people kept saying even though the reg version says it's good on a Mac it still crashes. I was just curious about this other version.

I guess we'll try these free versions I have found and see how far we get.

Thanks for the input!!

Maybe there are different versions of Mavis Beacon? There were no bad reviews when I bought it, iirc. This is the one we're using http://www.amazon.com/Mavis-Beacon-Teaches-Typing-Ultimate/dp/B0047FQZKI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1336677313&sr=8-5

No it's not as flashy and arcade like, but it's still interesting. And frankly I got over that hump by paying her. I told her I'd give her $1/wpm any month she increased by at least 5 wpm.