Menu

What Killgallon to use?

:bigear:

I've been looking at the sentence composing ones for middle school for next year, but wonder what is the difference between the Killagon grammar and sentence composing? By its very nature, wouldn't the sentence composing one include grammar?

Thanks!

Paula

The SC and the grammar books contain very similar types of exercises. I would go with Grammar for Middle School because it uses the proper grammatical terminology (at the elementary level it's the SC book that does).

You may want to look into the new Paragraphs for High School book as well. The sample looks do-able by a bright jr. high student.

I plan to use the Sentence Composing after the Grammar book. Same kind of exercises, but the Grammar book does a better job of explaining the concepts (absolute phrases, participial phrases, adjective clauses, ect).

Thanks for the heads-up on the new book. I'll have to go take a look at that!

Would working on Killgallon and WWS simultaneously be overkill? I know the big writing post suggested it, but I am wondering if it would bore my ds. He loves WWS and often says it is his favorite subject. And if I were to do Killgallon at the same time, which one would be a good choice?

I would go with elem sentence composing. I don't know about the grammar books, but the difference between the elementary, middle school and high school sentence composing books is in the sentence to be imitated. Elementary -- children's lit (My side of the mountain, trumpet of the swan, charlottes web...). Middle school -- more adult lit (authors like Stephen king, Anne Tyler, Steinbeck). The instructional content is similar -- it's the models that are different.

I haven't used it yet (we did the elem version - but I have the middle school version too) so I can't guarantee... But nothing in the book seems objectionable. It's more that the texts that the sentences come from are mostly adult or older teen books, so theyre likely unfamiliar to most 12 yr olds. But like I said, the elementary would be totally suitable and appropriately challenging for any age. It's not babyish at all.