Menu

Stanford 10 or ITBS for rising 5th grader? Most informative?

Halcyon

My older took the CAT last year as a gentle introduction to standardized tests, and this year I'd like to administer something more informative for me, the parent, to find weaknesses and strengths froma test POV. I had been leaning towards the ITBS but now that the SAT can be administered without non relatives, i am thinking it might be more useful. Thoughts?

Giving you a bump....I've been looking at tests, as next year will be our first testing year (required in PA.) I've been leaning toward the SAT, curious as to what others who've BTDT think....

Are there any samples online of questions from the SAT?

We just finished ITBS and I can honestly say it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I was disappointed on some aspects, like some of the social studies questions that had to do with things like how tax money was spent and pollution. I wouldn't really say the results were very informative since I already knew what my son's strengths and weakness are. I think it was a good experience for him to start standardized testing, but I think I will look into Stanford next year- it is supposed to be more challenging than ITBS.

We did the SAT 10 this year and I didn't learn anything. I even tested ds up a couple of grades with the hope that I could get a better idea of where he was. I also had dd take EXPLORE in the spring, and I was more impressed with that. It feels more "standardized," so that I can compare her scores from this year to next year and have a good idea of the progress we make. With the SAT 10, it might have worked out better if we were following the Core Standards. But the SAT can't account for the fact that we did more grammar than is typical in the standards and studied history instead of social studies.

I think there's a place for standardized tests in public education -- where teachers and parents are not sure of the abilities of a child and want to quantify their child's knowledge in relation to other children. But standardized tests just don't make much sense for a homeschooling parent who's already paying close attention and knows what their child's strengths and weaknesses are. I've been an item writer for the SAT-9... and we're in the middle of doing the ITBS and it's kind of silly. The test is ridiculously easy in some ways (math and reading) and then in other ways (social studies and science), it tests random knowledge about civics or weather that we just haven't happened to have ever discussed.

Standardized tests aren't bad... and it's worth exposing your kids to a standardized test as a part of their education... and as your kids seem to be pretty high performing, I'm sure you'll find the results satisfying... but I think you'll be disappointed if you are hoping the results give you any useful information.

We did the ITBS for our 4th grade test. In our state, they have to test in 4th and the only test besides the state mandated test that can be accepted is the ITBS for 4th and 8th should you go back to school at any point in the future.

I personally liked the results a lot more than the results from Seton's CAT test. Any other years besides 4th and 8th, we can use whatever tests we like to show progress. This year we are going to do the Stanford 10 online through Abeka.

Given your childrens' skill levels, they may "top out" any standardized test they take while testing out of grade level may be an exercise in frustration. If you want to know strengths and weaknesses, I'd recommend a session of the Woodcock Johnson. It's expensive but both children took it this year and I found the feedback invaluable. The administrator gave me specific information on the kids' answers. In math, my ds answered a math question incorrectly and she pointed out that his logic was correct, but his facts were wrong. She noted my dd has a tendency to skip all over the page which slowed down her answering ability and I should encourage working left to right, top to bottom. These are only a few examples but it helped shape goals for next year. She also discussed several different curriculum, weighing her view on pros and cons, and other teaching techniques for reading and math. The WJ also doesn't run into the dreaded social studies and science questions that feel rather arbitrary in the typical standardized test.

If you do opt for the Woodcock Johnson, let your administrator know what level your children are working on. I didn't want to bias the test results so I said nothing about my kids and my son's testing session took much longer than it should have.

We've done that one, and it should just keep going. Idk if it goes above grade 12. We tested DS for reading a few years ago, and he was in 2nd but it placed some of his skills as high as 8th.

Thanks, I think we'll try this for my older. He doesn't care for online tests, but I think he'll need to get used to them for the future.

• 3 weeks later...

If your local school will allow it, you can try to take the MAP with them; that test is computer adaptive-- questions become easier or harder depending upon the performance of the individual student. I actually liked that test when my kids were in the PS, because it showed a lot more information than any of the other standardized tests. The company that owns MAP will not license homeschoolers to administer the test however, and if you are in a state that will not allow homeschoolers to test, you are out of luck.

It is worth asking though; it's a nice test, and my kids at least enjoyed it.

If your local school will allow it, you can try to take the MAP with them; that test is computer adaptive-- questions become easier or harder depending upon the performance of the individual student. I actually liked that test when my kids were in the PS, because it showed a lot more information than any of the other standardized tests. The company that owns MAP will not license homeschoolers to administer the test however, and if you are in a state that will not allow homeschoolers to test, you are out of luck.

It is worth asking though; it's a nice test, and my kids at least enjoyed it.

:iagree:

When my kids were in ps, they took the MAP three times a year. I really, really liked that test. You could really see progress. I contacted reps in my area, and sounds like they are working toward offering it outside of schools, but it may be several years down the road. Sounds like it's not physically possible to offer for homeschoolers due to accessing the server (something like that anyway). I have considered dual enrolling, mainly for the test, but will likely not. It is a great one though!