Menu

what to do when the deviled eggs don't peel???

I'd just do the egg salad. People like it, it pretty much tastes like deviled eggs anyway. If you buy the tiny loaf of cocktail bread or cut regular bread into six finger sandwiches, they'll fly off the plate. You can even do them ahead of time if you wet a paper towel, wring it out really well, and place it on top the sandwiches before you cover them. It keeps them from drying out.

I'd just do the egg salad. People like it, it pretty much tastes like deviled eggs anyway. If you buy the tiny loaf of cocktail bread or cut regular bread into six finger sandwiches, they'll fly off the plate. You can even do them ahead of time if you wet a paper towel, wring it out really well, and place it on top the sandwiches before you cover them. It keeps them from drying out.

:iagree: spice it up like deviled eggs and call it "deviled egg spread". (or, you can take the suggestion of my phone's autocorrect and call it "defiled egg spread", lol)

For future reference, fresh eggs don't peel well. If you're unsure, leave the eggs on the counter the night before you cook them. They won't go bad, but being at room temp does speed up their aging process, and they'll peel more easily.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Another trick (from my Martha Stewart cookbook) is to take them directly from the boiling water into a bowl of ice and water. She also says to start the eggs out in the pan with the water, then turn the heat on to boil, instead of placing eggs into boiling water. Maybe everyone does this, but it wasn't how I was taught.

I use very fresh eggs all the time and I can always peel them *if* I follow her directions. If not, I'm out of luck.

:iagree: spice it up like deviled eggs and call it "deviled egg spread". (or, you can take the suggestion of my phone's autocorrect and call it "defiled egg spread", lol)

For future reference, fresh eggs don't peel well. If you're unsure, leave the eggs on the counter the night before you cook them. They won't go bad, but being at room temp does speed up their aging process, and they'll peel more easily.

My iPad made the same correction, but I caught it :-) (It's still way better than correcting 'homeschoolers' to 'h0meh00kers.')

Where I live, they put Old Bay on EVERYTHING including deviled eggs. You could add some old bay and call it Cheasapeake Egg Salad :D